my 01 srx 700 vs 99 xcr 800

j2hizzo

VIP Member
both stock, my sled runs good, his is bone stock with the exception of 220 chisels. I have 96 chisels and 96 trail on the side. are these sleds as fast as the 2000 and up xcr 800? he outweighs me by 60lbs too.

3 yrs ago I was in a heated battle with 99 800 xcr and out of 4 race he finally edged me out by a ski loop this was 800 stock class snow drags and he knew just enough of clutch tuning as did I to win this was with my 2000 SRX 700 wish I could get it back to that stage it was fast!

I wont be running him until february 15,16. We go to northern maine and ride for a weekend every year. I was gonna send my stuff away for a trail port this past summer....i guess i shouldnt of procrastinated! I probably wont win but I can make him real nervous.

Not sure on the 99 but my buddies dad had an 02 xcr with aftermarket pipes it felt hands down faster than my srx. When it came down to it my stock srx would creep away from it.

If your sled runs how it should, I say you'll be close probably ahead. Run the stock windscreen lol

My 98 clutched, Xtra-10 conversion SRX I had a few years back walked away from my friends 2000 XCR 800. His was clutched, fresh rebuild, etc. It ran 105 (IIRC) in 1000' at radar runs on Lake Wisconsin a couple days before we ran em. I didn't run mine at radar runs, was busy. But, outta the hole I was gone, looked back, he didn't have a chance, we raced 2 times, he couldn't believe it...then came the excuses...lol

There are some gopro videos of xcr's on youtube. They sound neat(not as good as srx)but it didn't seem to be as fast as mine or maybe the speedos are more accurate on those. It was a 98 or 99 700 I watched.

I hate to do this, being not only a new member here, but also a a HUGE SRX and VMAX4 fan (have Bender-piped 92 MINT VMAX4 ripper), but the 99 XCR will win this race, stock versus stock, both sleds properly clutched. Every time. I have the advantage of being NOT biased, here;-). 99 XCR800 was the highest output triple 800 ever tested by American Snowmobiler (159.2hp) and weighed in at 555 pounds dry. The SRX, great as it was and still is, 145hp on a good dyno day and 525 pounds dry. I had the 01 SRX (biggest mistake motorsports ownership decision I ever made was to sell it, showroom clean with only 90 miles back in 05 so I could finance a crotch rocket! Ex AMA superbike racer rekindling 2 wheel race days I guess;-). So I LOVE the SRX, but after buying a mint 99 xcr800, properly clutched from a professional mechanic, riding that rocket ship, I'm sorry guys, but it's just faster. When that Fuji hooks up, it's over fast. Ridiculous midrange. And where the biggest difference resides is in roll-ons from 40mph up, and top speed. The SRX is great, but displacement takes over as it should per the laws of physics. There will always be an SRX here and there set up properly that beats a poorly set up XCR, but even-Steven, no way. Even going by the 'seat of the pants' feel, it's a difference that is immediately evident to the driver. Thundercat over XCR by a few sled lengths in 1000, the XCR leading until the end of that stretch, and the SRX behind both by a fair bit (4-5+), all 3 setup well is just the way it plays out more often than not :-)

Back