Handlebar riser /2003 viper

Stevepod

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if you can put a handlebar riser on a 2003 700 Viper without replacing or having issues with the cables? I'm 6'3 if anyone has a recommendation on how tall of a riser you would go with.

Stevepod

Chris, Are you sure about that? Sorry, my mistake. You have now answered that question 187 times throughout your Super1c career. No offense Stevepod, Chris is our resident riser question answerer.
Chris, how's your face?

Last edited:
Chris, Are you sure about that? Sorry, my mistake. You have now answered that question 187 times throughout your Super1c career. No offense Stevepod, Chris is our resident riser question answerer.
Chris, how's your face?

Better thanks. Jaw little sore yet but ready to hit the trails!! OR should i say ride the trails LOL!

I'm 6-3 as well put a 2" rise on my Viper and what a difference... no extensions or re-routing any cables. One of the best bang-for-your-buck mods you can do.

I just picked up another 04 Viper-S and have the Boss Widetop seat on it. I tried to put on a 2" riser but it was not enough to let my PowerMadd Fusion hand guards clear the low windshield. So I want at least 4" articulating riser... any recommendations. I found parts for extending the brake line and throttle oil cable combo but nothing for the choke... do you know what part# I need from Yamaha for the choke cable? Do any of the electric wires need to be extended to make this setup work?

How much do you need to clear with the hand guard extensions? Rox makes a 3 1/2” pivot riser that will work without cable mods. Don’t use the extensions they are the worst. If you do go bigger riser Use 04 viper mountain throttle/oil cable and choke cable. You shouldn’t need the break if only going 4”. You can turn the bung at the break and gain some room also. Run throttle /oil cable under bars also.

"You can turn the bung at the break and gain some room also." Not sure what this means...are you talking about the hard end that comes off the master cylinder? I just installed a 2" Sportech articulating riser and the brake line was already stretched to the max.

I'll probably need at least 5-6" total so I figured if I go with a PowerMadd 4" block attached to the articulating mount plate it should put me into the 5-6" total range right?

2018-01-25 16.00.30.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-01-25 16.00.18.jpg
    2018-01-25 16.00.18.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 13
Are you leaving the lines in the metal loop attached to the steering post? I put on a 7” riser with apex bars. Only reason I changed break was because extreme left turns put tension on line. Yes the bong that attaches to master cylinder. It’s pointing straight you can turn it up. But I’m not sure what you have going on that your that tight.

How much do you need to clear with the hand guard extensions? Rox makes a 3 1/2” pivot riser that will work without cable mods. Don’t use the extensions they are the worst. If you do go bigger riser Use 04 viper mountain throttle/oil cable and choke cable. You shouldn’t need the break if only going 4”. You can turn the bung at the break and gain some room also. Run throttle /oil cable under bars also.

I got the 3.5" riser and the cables are too short. I ran them under the hood but I think I may need the mountain Viper cables.

I will try that tonight, I would love to use this 3.5 pivot riser without having to do the mountain cables. How hard is the cable install, I read that you need to pull the carbs and back motor mount for the oil cable, sounds like a pain. What was your experience?

It wasn’t bad to change but yes you have to pull carbs (which I do to clean anyway) and that back motor mount. Not hard just take a bit of time. If you haven’t yet check out my bar set up on my build thread “pair of vipers go 144”. All the details there.

You will never stretch stock cables that far. 3 1/2 is most you can do and it will be snug. Yes you can turn bung at master brake cylinder and gain a inch or so.

Back