2000 models....any experience

Yamahaulic

Hey all,
I have been out of snowmobiling for about 10 years and inherited a nice doo 500. I am now looking for another CHEAP sled so I can ride with my son. In the $1500 range I am finding the following sleds:

600 ZR
600 ZL
Formula Z 583
XC 600 (not edge)

I have had a 98 ZR 600efi (bad mileage but like the light weight and suspension) and a 2000 SRX (which I was obsessed about)before I got out.

I am not a fan of the old no action suspension anymore (I'm 45 and my back wont take it in the rough)

Gas Mileage does not concern me as most of my riding will be central WI out my back door.

I have never been a big Polaris fan...I just feel they have alway lagged in the tech dept but do have solid motors. (remember im looking at the 2000ish years)

MXZ's of that vintage seem all beat to hell, so I guess in writing this I am looking at the formula Z or the ZR/ZL. any opinions? should I be looking harder at something.

I ride hard, but don't jump or lake race.

Last edited:

Get the xc6 if it's a 2000 with the ves. Yes i own one, but I'm not being biased. Is easily the best sled of the decade that isn't a triple. It will smoke much bigger sleds, I do it all the time. They ride great, handle awesome, are extremely fast, and get awesome mpg, and are ultra reliable.

How about a non ves? Still a good ride or disappointing? Or did they all have ves in 2000?

Last edited:
brothers had a few zr's great riding sleds, handle great, great suspension, 10 mpg, they dont last forever tho, 9 post clutches wear out fast, motors last about 6k

yea those liberty 600s ves and non ves were some great engines and so was the extra 10 suspensions. Me personally...im hook on the yammy triple powerplants but like you wasnt a fan of the suspension so i swapped in a better riding edge skid. An sxr or viper had longer travel skids than the srx so those might be a good choice for you. the proaction skid can improved with a good shock revalve for about $100

Yea, i loved my srx! Still think i want one again.....but i want a good suspension and dont want to mess with a swap. The vipers are still a little more than my budget. Im in the cheap $1500 range. Which puts me about year 2000 for something solid, quick, and reliable......if i had the budget i would get an srx an throw an m-10 in. ....

Of that group the Polaris is likely the best bet. However, that is assuming that they are all in similar shape which is rarely the case. The 583 is one of the best Rotax motors made, but if that is an F-chassis it will ride like a tank. The S-chassis was quite a bit better with ADSA and SC10, and the ZX was very good, but don't think they put the 583 in any of them.

I would also look for a Yamaha and simply upgrade the suspension. A Pro-Action chassis with a Mono skid in it works very well. The redhead 700 motor is one of the best 2 strokes of all time.

I'd consider selling my mint 00 xcsp6, but it would be above your price range of 1500.

If it's a 2000 xç 600 sp, it is ves. They made a deluxe model xc 6 ( non sp) that had the big block non ves. Good motor, but the gem was that ves 6. They also made a ltd build edge 6 with the ves, but it was $600 more when me than the gen2 one I got and couldn't justify the cost for a slower machine.

Those ZR chassis from that time were OK, when they ran, but fit finish, quality are lacking compared to the Polaris or the doo.

I've had extensive experience on all these sleds. nearly bought the fz 583, and a sxr700, but went with the Polaris. The cats, will all my friends had those and they would break, and didn't do anything better than the xç.

Last edited:
Nope, no S chassis with the 583. Those were only series 2. The fz 583 I nearly bought a couple years before, and when I did pull the trigger, the zx chassis wasn't as good as it got later in its existence.

I'd consider selling my mint 00 xcsp6, but it would be above your price range of 1500.

If it's a 2000 xç 600 sp, it is ves. They made a deluxe model xc 6 ( non sp) that had the big block non ves. Good motor, but the gem was that ves 6. They also made a ltd build edge 6 with the ves, but it was $600 more when me than the gen2 one I got and couldn't justify the cost for a slower machine.

Did the ves come on all the 2000 , or just he SP version? Do you feel the same about the 500cc class as well?

Nope, no S chassis with the 583. Those were only series 2. The fz 583 I nearly bought a couple years before, and when I did pull the trigger, the zx chassis wasn't as good as it got later in its existence.

As far as doo... What is the difference in the formula 3 and Z? Are the 3's triples? Different chassis?

Sorry to seem ignorant, but it is hard to find good info on the older iron that I don't have experience with

As far as doo... What is the difference in the formula 3 and Z? Are the 3's triples? Different chassis?

Sorry to seem ignorant, but it is hard to find good info on the older iron that I don't have experience with

No problem. F3 was either a 6 or 700 or 800 triple. Some years were in this own chassis, The ck3 was a trip is only chassis, but earlier formula 3s were in the same chassis as the twins in the 670, and 583 ilk. Formula z were Twins only.

Last edited:
Did the ves come on all the 2000 , or just he SP version? Do you feel the same about the 500cc class as well?

Ves only on the edge limited edition, the 600 touring, and the xc6sp. The xc 6 deluxe or 45th anniversary black and red edition had the non ves big block. The 500 ves was a fast sled too. That 500 ves gets a little trickier to explain as to what models it was in as it didn't follow the same formula as the 600 used. The 45 th anniversary deluxe 500 had the ves. Same chassis as the 600, but no 500 edge until 01. Few know you could buy a edge 6 in 00. It was offered to me when I snow checked my 00, in March of 99. Idk if it even had any literature on it, except that was the race chassis already.

Elroy huh? Do you know any Waeges? Or Olsen's , or Ard's?

I've got a lot of family out there.

I dont know many people here yet. I just moved here from ......ahem....IL a couple years back. The elroy /sparta trail is almost in my back yard.

Back