Sxr 700 noise driving me nuts!!

YAMMYJAM79

Ok guys so im super stumped on this one. I just replaced the track on my SXR and ever since then there is this weird rumbly grinding type noise! Its a camoplast trailsport track. I can actually feel it, as if im driving a truck with huge nobby tires. Any ideas as to what this could be?

did you do any drive bearings? my 2001 sxr rumbled with my ulti traction and still does with my new 1 inch hack saw from 30-40 kph. i did all drive line bearings so its not them. did you change hyfax? if you did they could be to long and catching the track where it curves at the end of the rails.

I didn't change the hyfax, or the bearings. They all were good shape with no play i thought about the heat exchanger guards, if it is that shoult i be concerned?

I didn't change the hyfax, or the bearings. They all were good shape with no play i thought about the heat exchanger guards, if it is that shoult i be concerned?
you better be concerned like I was.I was lucky I caught one of mine ready to fall off.Imagine if it would of fallen off when I was doing high speed and then it would jam the track and probably destroy the exchanger when it jams at that speed not to mention me flying over the handlbars and break my body

I thought that too but i already have 2" of sag without any weight.im a bigger guy, so i could just be rubbing the stud guards aswell. But i dont feel it under the seat, i feel it more around the drive shaft! Im gonna check the bearings again

Are any of your driveshaft sprockets somehow not lined up properly with the track drive lugs?
Is the sound possibly coming from the chaincase? Is there a magnet on the dipstick, and clean?

I just had a problem very similar to what you are talking about and it was my track hitting the front heat exchanger guards. Only heard the noise at low speeds, both mine were loose so I just took them off. They got so loose they were rubbing into the guard itself causing a nice 1" wide groove in the exchanger....any longer and I think it would've rubbed through the exchanger. Glad I caught it when I did. I also installed a 1.25" lug track on mine.

Check your guards...give em a wiggle

Ok, its probly what is causing the noise. Jack up the rear, and turn the drive sprockets with your hands while lying on the floor to see if it really is hitting them. Take the belt off to turn it easier. If it's that close, you might not be seeing it vertically. When I installed my track, I knew it would be close and only really saw 1/16" gap until I heard the noise and realized it was touching them. With a new track it's going to stretch a lot too, so it's probly hitting them as your slowing down. Did you wiggle them to see if they are loose?

I havent checked the actual guards no but i will do that! The suspension is really soft as well im a big guy im gonna get the shocks rebuilt and get a stiffer spring! Could be hitting the stud guards aswell . If it is hitting the heat exchanger guards, is that a big deal other then it being annoying as s#!t

Yes it can cause major damage! Same thing happened to my brothers sled . He had the same sled as me and we both put the same track on at the same time...we just took them off cause were not running any studs. I'll try to get a picture for you of what my heat exchanger looks like now with the indent in it.

Back