1979 exciter skid upgrade

Yamaman700srx

1979 exciter I what to upgrade the skid has anyone done this?

Hi fellas I'm back with a new toy to ask some questions. I heard that a skid from a 1984 to 1989 phazer will work on a older sled such as my 79 exciter my question here is has anyone on here done this upgrade and did it bolt in to the same holes as the old skid if not what did you do to make it work? I really like this old girl just want to improve the ride a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Sorry for the pic being off I uploaded from my phone not sure why it is like that. I should mention I have a buddy with a skid from a 1984 phazer that I would likely use if this is not to hard to change over.

Last edited:
nope not a hard swap pm me your email and I can give you a diagram and tips to installing it ....4 new holes will have to be drilled in the tunnel but you will only see 2 of them

Hi yamaha nutz I sent you my email at least I think I did. I privite messaged it to you not sure if you got it or if you sent me anything I did not receive it. If you could send your info that would be great.
Thanks.

image.jpg
Here is the 1985 Phazer skid installed on my 1979 440 Exciter looks good and will make a big difference on ride.

Last edited:
Looks good and should definitely improve the ride.
I just picked up a pair of 1980 440 Exciters and would like to do the same thing.

I will send a pm to Yamaha Nutz for the diagram.

Thanks

is there a way to lower it through the rear arm? i've seen a few on oval sleds with these skids,but they didn't sit that high in the azz end

Sorry I have been off here for a bit here is the specs. I have the only thing I did different is I moved the rear bracket for the old skid ahead and used the front hole in that bracket for the rear mounting arm.
Exciter 440 skid
I removed the track and reinstalled the driveshaft to measure from. From the flat on the driveshaft to the front hole 8 3/8", top of tunnel to front hole 5 3/4", center of front hole to center of rear 27", top of tunnel to rear hole 6 1/4".

looks really nice.
Are the skids the same length?
No different drivers needed?

The track and the drives are from the exciter the only thing different is the skid its out of a 1985 phazer. The skids in the phazers are the same length up to 1989 or 90 then they went to the 121" track.

I see this is a very old post, but if anyone has more details related to upgrading an exciter skid with a 1st gen phaser can you please send to: patskih2o@aol.com

Thanks!

Back