Hinson YZ250 clutch on YZ426F

Guys my son just bought a 2001 YZ426F that has a Hinson clutch on it and we had a few questions. The back of the Hinson clutch plate cover says YZ250 2002 on it so I'm guessing they must be interchangeable.

how many clutch plates should be on this bike? This one has nine clutch plates.
We're not sure if that's correct or not

The clutch plates all still have fiber to them but the outermost plate does show a little bit more wear. None of them look totally worn out.

The reason we tore into this today was because he had noticed a little of what felt like clutch slippage while in fifth gear and then in third gear later in the day.

This bike is totally new to me so any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

9 friction and 8 steel is correct. the clutches themselves arent interchangeable as far as I know but I believe the clutch covers are. Do the steels have any discoloration? upload a pic of the clutch if you could.

Is the correct oil in the bike? If it is running any synthetic but yamaha synthetic, the clutch will eventually slip. Been there done that on the xt and my quad. Some times a oil change with 15w40 desil oil will flush out the synthetic and stop the slippage.

I would recommend a clutch kit like a Barnett that comes with springs as long as the clutch basket is not notched where the friction disc hits it.

I thought the 426 was a 4 speed tranny?.i would take the steel plats & scuff them up a little.& the oil thing like thay said.the 4 stroke thumpers are lots of fun.good luck allseasons.

Back