vmax turbo help

Yesterday I made it out for my official first test drive so I thought I would Share the outcome. First of all, it did not blowup!!!
I put in a good hour of short blasts and light cruising. It is very sluggish off the start, although it starts to build boost almost instantly( Around 2-3 psi). It feels like it is way over jetted. I tried to play with the air screw but did not seem to do much. Flipped the choke and it did fall a bit but not much, so I think the choke may be stuck. After some roleout it cleans up and seems to pull very well( 5-6psi) and Afr is around 13. Rpm at full steam are right around 7800, so I'm happy with that for now. I have a short video but don't know how to upload. Once I got home and took it off the trailer it would not get get passed to bog. So tonight I decided to remove the carbs and give them a good cleaning, as it has been a year or two since I have cleaned them. When I removed them I noticed fuel on the air box, it was coming out of the overflows that are vented to the air box. Why would this be happening? The floats are set and hold pressure of me blowing into it. My rising rate fuel regulator is set at 5psi, should I lower it?

My jetting is as follows,
mains are160
Pilots are stock 52.5
Needle is on the second notch From the bottom
Air screw was at 1 1/4 out
Power jets are 100 in each

Any ideas?

I did check the choke cables and they seemed to be tight, so I have lubed them and they seem to be moving freely now.

It's been a long while, but I'm still poking away at the old girl. Recap: aerocharger has self destructed resulting in a rebuild. Purchased a turbo kit from a rx1 and retro fitted it to the machine. This ment having to add a oil pump and tank. Also added a/ f gauge, oil gauge and new exhaust. Power jets were also added. Then when first trying the new setup, I found out the seals were shot in the turbo and a rebuild kit is not available. So off I went in search for another turbo. This time I sources a Borg Warner from a 2015 ford escape 1.5L. This time I tested it first! Refabricated the exhaust again and now it's up and running. On a side note, this turbo has a type of recirculating electronic BOV, so I wired to the tors switch at the thumb throttle. This will open the BOV everyone the throttle is released. Seems to work well.
So now my I am in need of a little tuning help. Seems to be very boggy when hammered from an idle. Will even backfire threw carbs. It I brake torque it to around 2_3 psi it will take off no problems. Once the revs are up seems to be quite responsive. I have not changed the jetting from my earlier posts, other than the power jets.( They are 100s) mounted on the intake side of the carbs.
I do know there are a couple of small air leaks but it's been tough trying to do a leak test as it is leaking at the y pipe / pipe connection, and it's a total pita to remove the pipe to seal it there. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The 1.5L Dragon in the Escape wasn't available until the 2017 model year. I think your turbo sizing will give you fits when it come to tuning as witnessed with the off idle responsiveness. I like the idea of using TORS for the ECBV. It is a critical component in avoiding turbine fin fatigue. I think this is a VAWG system which requires a vacuum reservoir. How are you actuating the waste gate?

Thanks for the response. Your right, my mistake, the turbo is from a 2015 1.6 liter.
Right now the wastegate is plumbed to the air box with a toggle air bleed inline. This came from the original aerocharger kit I purchased. It's supposed to add 2 psi when flipped. I not sure what a vawg system is, but I definitely don't have a vacuume reservoir.

I looked into the system you were referring to and it seems it is just a way for the wastegate to be manipulated by the computer to allow overboost . I don't feel this is needed for my application.lol.
The kp39 turbo seems to spool quickly, as I stated earlier it boosts to 2-3 psi almost instantly and pulls strong up top. I feel this bogging/fuel issue is carb based. Hopefully when I get the carbs reassemble I can clean up the bottom end. I'm am going to be purchasing new needle and seats.
I have read that others who have tried this don't go up in jet sizes which I have, but that should only really affect Top end, shouldn't it?. But I did raise the needle which could be part of the issue, I'm going to return it to factory. I'm also thinking of dropping my fuel pressure to 3 psi. Any thoughts?

I looked into the system you were referring to and it seems it is just way for the wastegate to me manipulated by the computer to allow see overboost . I don't feel this will is needed for my application.lol.
The kp39 turbo seems to spool quickly, as I stated earlier it boosts to 2-3 psi almost instantly and pulls strong up top. I feel this bogging/fuel issue is carb based. Hopefully when I get the carbs reassemble I can clean up the bottom end. I'm am going to be purchasing new needle and seats.
I have read that others who have tried this don't go up in jet sizes which I have, but that should only really affect Top end, shouldn't it?. But I did raise the needle which could be part of the issue, I'm going to return it to factory. I'm also thinking of dropping my fuel pressure to 3 psi. Any thoughts?

You're right -
PAWG - Pressure Actuated Waste Gate
VAWG - Vacuum Actuated Waste Gate

It does sound like its fat down low. I'm not familiar with the sled kit you're using (or any sled turbo kits for that matter) but it sounds like there is an added fuel enrichment device which would be affected with a change in fuel pressure?

Back