vmax turbo help

lunnex

I just purchased a used aerocharger 53 for my 94 vmax 600. It came as a complete kit: turbo, exhaust, intake box ,fuel pump, regulator gauges and a bunch more. But no instructions! Is there anyone out there who could help me out with any information?
The turbo install is straight forward, I'm just not sure of how to do the fuel pump plumbing, or all the air lines.
Please help!

OK, I got the air lines sorted out, I've decided to run the hi/low toggle as well, because it looks cool. Got my gauges installed and everthing rest fitted. So now I need help with the fuel lines. Should i delete the Hobbs switch with stock pulse pump, and run with only the electric pump with a 1 to 1 rising regulator? If I do this, do I have to premix or can the oil injection still be used?
This is being installed on a fresh rebuild, it has been broken in only. 120 compression on both sides. It also has a battery and electric start so power should be OK for pump.

Sorry, been a wee bit busy, but now ready to get her going! Just in time for spring.lol.

I swapped out the track for a 1" aggressor, and put in 144, 1 1\4" trail studs. Rebuilt top and bottom end after a small meltdown.
My own stupidity, after adding a aaen single pipe, I rejetted with 158.8. Or so I thought. Turns out I got 148.8 instead. Live and learn. I won't install jets without looking again!

This is a kit made by aerocharger? If so give them a call and they should have instructions on archive or tell you. Personally have no experiance with that sled let alone turboing one.

I contracted them and first choice turbo, and neither one was able to help me. I was hoping someone who has turbo'd a carbureted sled would have some info, for the fuel side of things.

That's kind of stupid that they offer a kit and can't provide instructions to you by phone or help you in some way, as for the pump i would think you would use the stock pump with no boost then it would switch the bigger pump on when boost is applied to make up for the loss of fuel and the small bit of pressure at such a high rate but I've never turbod a carbureted vehicle before and I don't know if this is a blow through design or a pull through, and how much boost your running, I can only throw thoughts and ideas at you buddy, I would ask the 4 stroke fellas cuz there always turboing there 4 strokes to keep up with the smoky demons, I would think someone with an rx1 or any of them would have an idea cuz they must've come across a turbo kit for a carb sled in there search for a turbo kit, if not id call turbonetics and all the big boys one at a time,bbut it can't be too hard, it's just a set of carbs to feed from what I understand.

OK, I got the air lines sorted out, I've decided to run the hi/low toggle as well, because it looks cool. Got my gauges installed and everthing rest fitted. So now I need help with the fuel lines. Should i delete the Hobbs switch with stock pulse pump, and run with only the electric pump with a 1 to 1 rising regulator? If I do this, do I have to premix or can the oil injection still be used?
This is being installed on a fresh rebuild, it has been broken in only. 120 compression on both sides. It also has a battery and electric start so power should be OK for pump.

Keep the hobbs switch. No on the rising reg. Oil injection is fine. If I remember right they used Vmax 500 cdi to take a bit of timing out. You need more then 93 pump fuel after 6lbs of boost. At boost, fuel pressure should be 5~10lbs over boost pressure (6lb boost = 16lb fuel). Stock carbs should have a power jet added with 100pj to start tuning. If you want, post pics of your install and I'll let you know it it all looks good

Last edited:
IMG_20150318_174918.jpg
Ok, so hopefully the photo worked. This is what came with the kit. There is also a Hobbs attached to the intake. I'm fine with using the Hobbs and can wire it and pump without problems. Where should I get the fuel supply from? And how do I T in to the carb lines.
I read the link above but don't understand what is being said. If I splice before the pulse pump for the electric pump, and then splice into to PTO side pulse line. Would the electric not be pushing straight gas into the carbs? That application is for a bombi, which I believe has the oil injection direct. My vmax mix's the oil in the pulse pump. Maybe I'm missing something from the link post?

You always put more fuel in the same way it normally goes unless your running a secondary fuel system, in your case your carburated so I'd plumb it to where the fuel goes to your carbs normaly. unless ur mistaken about where your oil mixes I'd run mixed fuel for the time being and switch to direct oil injection later if the option is available. it's a pain but if it truly mixes in your stock pulse pump then you have no choice because you can't realy t into the pump lol, get your supply from the tank not the stock pump line unless the size of the line can handle the volume being pulled, as long as your evenly supplying fuel to your carbs your fine if your running individual lines up to your carbs make them the same length. And post a picture of the turbo on your smoker. I'm gonna search around some more for info, if I think of something or find anything I'll post it

Thanks for the reply, my pulse pump has five lines, one from tank, one from crank for pulse, one from oil pump, and two for carbs. So my best bet is to eliminate the pulse and premix because I have no interest in running two separate fuel systems. By doing it this way I should eliminate the Hobbs. And run only the electric with rising rate regulator?
Also can I use my tank vent as a return line? Or should I plumb a new one?

Here's a photo of the old smoker, she looks a bit of a mess right now!
IMG_20150318_212703.jpg
IMG_20150318_175053.jpg

Back