pw 80

mark3kid

hey guys!
I recently got my self a little pw 80 1997. she was sitting for a few years when I found it. its a little rough but that's fine with me. so the bike has carb issues like the fuel running out of the drain while running. took it apart and then it was fine. then after a day or to it started to run out again. i guess time for a carb kit. i am wondering if these bikes are really slow or if there is something wrong with mine. it just seems not to have any power. could the leaking fuel cause that? and is also does not idle any help would be great!! i did put a new spark plug and air filter in it. any help would be great!!

thanks guys
have a great weekend

Fuel leaking out of the carb shouldn't cause a lack of power. Your needle and seat are probably worn or you might just have some junk getting in the carb getting stuck between the needle and seat. Try cleaning out the whole fuel system and maybe put in an inline fuel filter. If fuel is still running out replace the needle and seat.

Is there a tank for something under the seat. On the left side there seems to be something and I have no idea what it is for

Is there a tank for something under the seat. On the left side there seems to be something and I have no idea what it is for
It's a sight gauge for the 2-stroke oil. There should be 2 bolts underneath the rear of the seat that needs to be removed in order take the seat off and fill the oil tank.

Last edited:
It sure doesn't feel like a 2 stroke. I put oil In that tank but didn't change anything. Any suggestions on what to do about the power issues?

Haha I would trade it if I could. I didn't pay much for it so I'm not really worried.

Like Staggs said...make sure the carb is right. Clean it and make sure everything is adjusted right. If you want it to be a little quicker you could gear it down a little, maybe go with a little larger sprocket on back or smaller up front. A set of Boyesen reeds might help a little too, those should only be around $20 for that bike.

Also make sure the exhaust pipe is not all clogged up.... some of the small two strokes have washers in the exhaust at the head to restrict flow..... remove it if there is one .... I don't know if they ever installed on the PW's or not but they did on the Suzuki LT50's..... fill a barrel full of wood and put the exhaust system in there and let it burn...... this will clean out the pipe if its all clogged up with two stroke oil....... could also just remove the pipe and see if it runs better.... this would tell you if the pipe is being too restrictive.....get rid of the baffle as well

Thanks for all the help! Yes the filter was disintegrated but I replaced it when I got the bike. I'm going to try the exhaust thing first then compresion. There was oil but not a lot. Should the crank case have transmission oil or engine oil?

Thanks for all the help! Yes the filter was disintegrated but I replaced it when I got the bike. I'm going to try the exhaust thing first then compresion. There was oil but not a lot. Should the crank case have transmission oil or engine oil?

I usually use an oil designed for use in 2 stroke gear boxes in my dirtbikes like gear saver by PJ1 but any 4 stroke motorcycle or atv engine oil works too, just don't use an oil that you'd use in a car, it has anti friction aditives that could cause your clutch to slip.

Back