Daughters phazer II oval race sled

some basic porting pics

here I fixed the transition on the bottom of the cylinders, making everything a smooth taper up into the transfer port, I also made the edges exactly to the gasket opening. The bridges are sharpened up and tapered back to port. Stock is next to modded for comparison in all the cylinder pics to come, sorry pics are not better.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Here I modified the intake tract, it is widened and all the high edges are ground out and put on a taper. The port top is changed and the piston has also been cut on the rear skirt to further alter the port timing for longer duration. The piston skirt is coated with swain tech pc9 coating to make it slippery.

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 55
what goes in must come out......exhaust port, I widen them and barely raise the roof. You wanna remove the 2 big humps in the floor and get as flat as you can with a taper from each side to the exhaust outlet. The outlet is made larger in diameter to meet up with the manifold. The exh.manifold is also opened up to the same inside diameter as the donut is. You have to grind the manifold as well as when they weld them the weld seeps inside from flange to pipe and makes this transition rough and of a smaller diameter, I open all that back up and taper it out into the tube.

these cylinder pics I am using showing the porting are of a customers engine(trail performance). Mine are a little hotter in port timing for full race. Pretty close to the same but have a larger exhaust port and a bit larger front transfer ports, more compression on head cut and cylinder decking.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 66
The stock gearing sucks and is only good for about 85 mph when figured at 1:1
A 37 bottom sprocket fits
From what sled comes the 37 Triplex bottom sprocket ? Part # ?

Upon taking the engine apart I found that the MAG side piston was cracked at the rear skirt,
this is from never having rings put in it over its 6900 mile life and the skirt has rocked back and forth in the cylinder and began to stress and crack the skirt.
I will repalce both pistons with new Yamaha oem pistons.
The newer Yamaha pistons already come with the modded rear skirt to advance the intake timing.
What Yamaha OEM piston to use ?

Yamaha OEM Piston part #

* ( 1984-2002 ) "TSS" sleds ---> 8V0-11631-00-96
* ( 1999-2008 ) "Pro-Action" sleds ---> 8DJ-11631-00-A0

...What technically separates them ?

:sled1: :2strokes:

ok, enough is enough of walking around this thing and I need my sled lift back. I have gotten a break on my blasting job so I am gonna concentrate on putting this sled back together. bbenn a long 8 months at work.
I just power washed off the chassis front, need to touch up the chassis paint. Installing new crank seals in bottomend, sled is just too old to chance it without changing them, all this work to have a crankseal leak and ruin the engine would be....well.... stupid...lol

Attachments

• IMG_0851[5006].jpg
    IMG_0851[5006].jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
also gonna be adding a set of srx skis to it. I have to machine the saddle for the pogo stick bottom to fit. while I am there mise well take apart the front scissors and grease it all up and machine the centers out for a bit of uneeded weight loss! I will be kinda jumping around this thing in this working thread because its been so long since I worked on it and had a few things going on at once to be done and never got done because of the job I took.

Attachments

• IMG_0852[5008].jpg
    IMG_0852[5008].jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 4
Looks like a fun project !
Good to see your "back in the saddle" so to speak !
So does this mean your ready to take more orders for porting work ?? lol

Looks like a fun project !
Good to see your "back in the saddle" so to speak !
So does this mean your ready to take more orders for porting work ?? lol

no, sorry no outside engine work this year, season is already upon us. My break from work is going to be short lived. I am gonna focus on my stuff for a bit.

drilled the brake rotor for better cooling. Now to mill the ski saddles....

Attachments

• IMG_0866[5046].jpg
    IMG_0866[5046].jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 5
And you used to tease me about how long my projects took. Lol
Glad to see you're back on it. I got rid of all my 2 stroke projects. Running a tuned Winder now but looking around for a clean SRX to build a stocker for my son. Good luck on the Phazer, hope you get the time to wrap it up.

And you used to tease me about how long my projects took. Lol
Glad to see you're back on it. I got rid of all my 2 stroke projects. Running a tuned Winder now but looking around for a clean SRX to build a stocker for my son. Good luck on the Phazer, hope you get the time to wrap it up.

aint that the truth....lol!! sucks when work screws up all the plans, just like when you took the out of town work. Oh well, I got plenty of funds to finish all my stuff....lol

How much do you think was removed? 1-2 pounds?

I honestly didn't even weigh it, wasn't so much for the weight loss on rotor as much as to let it get some cooling, it should dissipate heat 2 times as good now. ski saddles are next, yep, they are bulky,(at least they are aluminum instead of cast steel like brake rotor) gonna get a trim as well!

mrviper700 check your inbox ! :sled1:
Hi lasse, I posted pics of some of the cylinder work I did on the trail engine I was doing at same time I was doing my own stuff, I would just smooth everything and take off all the casting corners. I cant give you specs to do your cylinders, mine are made for my mods and wouldn't be for everyone. I would advise get a aaen pipe or 2nd pipe choice of a dg and some flatslide carbs off a 500 vmax. It will run more then strong enough for a kid, be pretty powerfull. clutching will help harness the power and get it to the snow. good luck on your project!

Last edited:

Back