New project - 91 Phazer II boondocker 144"

Well for now I've got bigger things to worry about, it just keeps getting better and better. Popped the clutch off tonight, the water trick worked awesome btw and if you've never removed a clutch this way it is so easy. Anyways lots of spooge around the pto crank seal and I thought well there's why the pto piston melted down, glad I split it. Once I got the crank out I felt all the bearings and the pto side bearings did not feel good. Take a good look below and notice the piece of metal between the two. Looks like the cage in the outer bearing let go, there are lots of pieces of it in there. Bummer, now I've either got to replace those bearings or find a good crank.

Been checkin out your build. Good job your certainly leaving nothing unturned...lol

On the crank why not just put on 2 new bearings and call it a day??? those are easy to change on the end. Just make sure to make or machine a spacer thats exact thickness to put between the crank halfs when you press the new ones on.

Thanks Mr V. Yeah well I was only going to get it running and throw the 144 under it, but as usual it went much further. I'm glad though, in the end I know I'll have a solid sled and I'll also know it inside and out. Anyways, I'm going to order the bearings tomorrow and just replace those two. Should be good to go and can start reassembly.

Last edited:
Well nix that plan. Was late last night when I got the crank out and didn't thoroughly check it out, but just did and the center bearings are shot too. The bearing just left of center is rough and there's a pile of metal in the case between it and the center seal. Arrgh, going to need a crank, don't spose anyone here has one?

There's an add on CL for a phazer motor with fresh topend $200 obo might just be better to get another motor and keep my parts for spares. only problem is he's 1 1/2 hours west of me.

Got a freshly rebuilt crank from a little shop in Green bay that came highly recommended. H had one on the shelf with all new bearings and trued for $200, smokin deal as far as I'm concerned. Shipping my core out tomorrow and he'll ship the new crank back as soon as he gets it. Now I'll have a good stout engine I don't have to worry about when we're in the back woods of bfe. Hear that Ben, I don't want to have to tow you out lol. Btw I'm building this sled for my cousin who has been trying to ride with me on an old 87 Polaris tank that gets stuck every 20'. Now he'll be able to get off the beaten path with me.

i would drive 1.5 hours for a spare engine, especially for that price! Jeff for the crank?

Yes Jeff at Midwest Crankshaft! Great guy we had a good talk. I couldn't buy all the bearings for that price. Also found another complete and running 91 for cheap, and I just remembered a buddy I used to ride with in the 90's, a hard core Yammy guy who had Phazers and he never gets rid of anything. Going to call him tomorrow.

Got the front pogos apart tonight. One was real stiff, found the shock rod was slightly bent. Bent it back by hand and eye and it's working fine. All the linkage is surprisingly tight, just needs a good cleaning and some lube. Nothing left to take apart at this point just waiting for parts so I can start reassembly.

That is a screaming deal on the
Crank ...... I rebuild them all the time you pretty much just paid the labor and got the parts free

That is a screaming deal on the
Crank ...... I rebuild them all the time you pretty much just paid the labor and got the parts free
Yeah I know I priced out the parts and it was well over $300.

Got another great deal. Put an add on craigslist for a pipe and got an AAEN in nice condition for $100 and he's local. Said he has the jets for it too. Going to pick it up tonight. ;)!

Have the extros here and pressed the old drivers off the drive shaft today only to find that it is bent! So much for my plans to get the skid in this weekend. Guess I'll get the motor back together next. I did get the struts and front suspension back together last night. Time has been limited lately.

too bad your not closer. i probably have at least a half dozen pz drive shafts. i would gladly give you one for shipping charges if needed.

with the bender or any aftermarket pipe, dont forget the pilots and midrange circuits. most burn downs on pz's occur with pipe additions from my experience. big trick to keeping that engine alive is not to hold midrange for extended periods. get into the habit of being a frequent throttle blipper and it will live a long and happy life.

most likely your running at or near sea level. i dont recall benders tuning info mentioning upping the pilots, but over the years with those machines going up a couple sizes have made them live with the aftermarket pipes. most likely yours has a 95 pilot. out here at elevation we were using 100 and 105 i think. i would need to find my pz jets to be sure.

I bought another drive shaft off ebay yesterday but thanks for the offer.

I do have all the original paperwork with the Bender pipe which has charts for recommended jetting and clutching. I'm at about 1500 ft where I ride. I'll go through the carbs and start with Benders recommendations and tune from there, unless I can score a set of flat slide carbs from a 94-96 vmax. Those I'm very familiar with and have an assortment of jets and needles already.

We won't be running this thing steady throttle, it's going to spend the rest of its life in the woods dodging trees and climbing hills. ;)!

The guy who I got the pipe from also gave me boxes of extra parts including a primary in very good condition, more cylinders and pistons, reeds, stator, new belts and a whole bunch of other goodies.

Got the bottom end back together and the cylinders honed out. Should get the top end back on tomorrow afternoon.

So guess what pops up on craigslist, an AAEN pipe with a Winderosa gasket set for $100. Don't really need it now that I have the Bender, which by comparing pics of both is identical to the AAEN. Tempted to buy it anyways.

Tha aaen and the bender are the same pipe, which is the aaen design. Aaen was the pipe designer and builder and bender was his good buddy and Olav let bender build thier pipe under the bender name. At one time Aaen sponsered tim bender before bender racing became a company,same pipe same hp output, thats the good pipe to have.

On a phazer that pipe made 72.5hp @ 7200rpm. On a fully ported phazer it made 83.4hp@7500rpm. Both engines used 38mm flat slide carbs, not that they added hp its just that you could adjust the mid range fuel curve via the needle and it would go lean like the factory butterfly carbs do.

too bad your not closer. i probably have at least a half dozen pz drive shafts. i would gladly give you one for shipping charges if needed.

with the bender or any aftermarket pipe, dont forget the pilots and midrange circuits. most burn downs on pz's occur with pipe additions from my experience. big trick to keeping that engine alive is not to hold midrange for extended periods. get into the habit of being a frequent throttle blipper and it will live a long and happy life.

most likely your running at or near sea level. i dont recall benders tuning info mentioning upping the pilots, but over the years with those machines going up a couple sizes have made them live with the aftermarket pipes. most likely yours has a 95 pilot. out here at elevation we were using 100 and 105 i think. i would need to find my pz jets to be sure.

Hey Snowdad, I just realized I bought a drive shaft for an 89, that's going to be a different spline than a 91 isn't it? Guess I could either get an early jack shaft or the right drive shaft. I do have the triple gears for the early shafts. That offer still open?

yes the splines are different on the drive shafts ...........like what was said the bender pipe and Aaen pipe are the same .....with stock carbs for your year sled I would bump the pilots to 110 and the mains to 148.8....for flat slides the 95 600 38mm carbs just require a main jet change the rest for me at least was spot on but my motor is nowhere near stock the SX cut on the pistons is a easy 4 hp and helps the bottom end and mid range a lot .....if the primary has the 87F weights run those with the red/ green spring and stock secondary set in B-2 should come in at 4500 rpms and rev to 72-73

New drive shaft showed up today so pressed the extros on, in the proper locations for the new track of course. Engine is just about together, will finish tonight. Ring end gap was .014 which is awesome. Manual calls for .014 - .022 so on the tight end. Jugs were in nice shape.

Enjoying this build a lot! Nice job!

Thank you very much! I'm an active member at another snowmobile site since my main ride is a Summit, yeah I know but it was the right deal at the right time. Anyways thought it would be more appreciated here and figured I'd get better advice from the Yammie experts which has certainly been the case. I really appreciate all the help and advice that I've gotten here. ;)!

Did get the motor together last night.

Back