Uor sleds are getting older...

sleddineinar

VIP Member
Metal fatigue is something to watch out for, now that these girls are getting older. I blew a motor last spring, after inspecting everything, I had a broken reed stop with a piece blew through the case. I am in the process of putting a new motor in and I'm using the reeds & carbs from the old motor. I bought new reeds and stoppers for the damaged reed cage. I was looking over the other reed cages and ALL of the stoppers had cracks. MAKE SURE YOU INSPECT THE REEDS AND STOPPERS NOW THAT THESE BABIES ARE GETTING OLDER! I do not have an accurate reading on my speedometer, but I'm guessing the motor had between 12000 and 15000 miles. When have a little more time I'll post some pictures of the stops.

I had mine crack a quite a few years ago already...caught them just in time. Replaced them with the stainless ones. The original galvanized stoppers are just way too thin, they flex too much which weakens them, stainless stoppers are thicker and don't have much if any flex to them. Here is the part number 4DA-13616-00-00, looks like they have been discontinued now. correction, i just found the new part number...8DJ-13616-00-00

Last edited:
Do all reeds have these stoppers? Any photos of what the stoppers are or look like on the reed valve? I'm concerned now because I don't think my 600sx has any?? But it was a while ago when I first got it and had so much other stuff to go through so I may have forgotten what the reeds looked like. I would like to double check though. But I would like to know what to look for.

Do all reeds have these stoppers? Any photos of what the stoppers are or look like on the reed valve? I'm concerned now because I don't think my 600sx has any?? But it was a while ago when I first got it and had so much other stuff to go through so I may have forgotten what the reeds looked like. I would like to double check though. But I would like to know what to look for.

$_57.jpg

Damn, Gotta pull the airbox, carbs, and boots off and check again. My memory sucks. when I first got my 600,,and took the carbs off, there was a piece of the top of the airbox filter in the center reed valve,,, I have No idea how it wouldve gotten past the carb hense I have no idea how it got in there... my sled was Hack Tastic!! Thanks for posting this.

Damn, Gotta pull the airbox, carbs, and boots off and check again. My memory sucks. when I first got my 600,,and took the carbs off, there was a piece of the top of the airbox filter in the center reed valve,,, I have No idea how it wouldve gotten past the carb hense I have no idea how it got in there... my sled was Hack Tastic!! Thanks for posting this.
Just replace them all. For piece of mind.

On 97 sx700? There is 2 on each reed? So a person needs to order 6 and new gaskets? Correct.

Last edited:
On 97 sx700? There is 2 on each reed? So a person needs to order 6 and new gaskets? Correct.

Yes...6. you may not have to change the gaskets as long as they don't stick and rip on you. I take mine out every year when I clean my carbs and re-use the old gasket.

Ok perfect I have never had them out before. So it will be a learning experience and looks simple enough to do. 1 sled has 2800 miles on it. The other on has 3800 miles. I am thinking I should be fine this season and check them next season when I clean the carbs since I already did it for this season. This is a good heads up though. Thanks.

buy some high tac gasket spray and just hit the old one with some of that. i use the permatex brand hightac.

Back