Phazer to Vmax Carb Conversion...experts inside please!

amazza76

VIP Member
So I am looking for advise, expertise, and parts lists for this 1984 Phazer 480 project. The ultimate goal is the carb conversion with an Aaen can pipe and a 121" track. This is my son's first snowmobile and he is getting it this Christmas. I can't wait to start turning wrenches with him. Any experience please chime in.

Use 94-96 Vmax 600 carbs, they are a 38mm carb same as the Phazer and are a direct fit. Center to center is the same, they will slide right into the carb boots and the air box fits perfect. The only exception is the throttle cable has a little more cable outside the casing. You could use a Vmax throttle block to solve that or I just made a spacer, maybe 3/8 - 1/2" long to fit in the phazer throttle block to take up the slack, and I still have plenty of adjustment at the carb, enough that I could shorten up the spacer.

I have a Bender racing pipe on mine, same as the AAEN. I'm starting with stock vmax jetting and adjust from there, but I think it will be real close.

My 144" phazer build thread if it interests you - http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/97106-New-project-91-Phazer-II-boondocker-144-quot

Pm Yamaha Nutz..... Rumor has it he may have a hand full of of these set up that run very...very well. ;)!

In terms of throttle setup, Am I right in thinking I need the dual pull setup off of a Vmax in order to make the carbs and oil pump work?

I have the Flat slides with cables and thumb throttle from a 96 Vmax
I checked today and everything looked good for hook up to the Phazer except for the oil pump cable.
The Vmax cable has about an inch less of cable pull, when installed around the pump pulley it holds the pulley half open, also the cable end fits into the pulley OK but the casing end has a clip on it so it is slightly longer and will not locate in the pump casing.
here is a photo of the 2 cables for side by side for comparison.

DSC01311.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01312.jpg
    DSC01312.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01312.JPG
    DSC01312.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I searched the archives.
Looks like the oil pump cable needed is the one from the 93 Exciter SX.
Yamaha part number 8AY-26320-00
Going to order one tomorrow and give it a try

any ex 570 or vmax 540 oil pump cable will work just fine you need should use a vmax 5-600 throttle block or exciter sx block ....to keep your oil injection ........jetting will vary depending on the motor work reeds and pipe let me know what you have going on then I can give you a set up and if you are running the air box or not .....

Last edited:
I have my motor ready to put back in the my 93 Phazer.
I have the Vmax throttle block and cables with Exciter SX oil pump cable.
I will post photos of the set up.
Only thing I am not sure about is jetting, could not find an Aaen pipe so will run the stock pipe for a while.
Will the stock Vmax jetting work with stock pipe?
Highest elevation 734 FT

Last edited:
jetting will depend on motor work or not, and reeds ...airbox, if running needs to be completely gutted on the inside if not you will fight a very rich top end condition ......for me I like with a stock motor and stock pipe just change the mains to 145's and air screw at 1.5 turns if they are newer carbs with the fuel screw I will have to look up the jetting again as I know the pilots and mains need to be changed

jetting will depend on motor work or not, and reeds ...airbox, if running needs to be completely gutted on the inside if not you will fight a very rich top end condition ......for me I like with a stock motor and stock pipe just change the mains to 145's and air screw at 1.5 turns if they are newer carbs with the fuel screw I will have to look up the jetting again as I know the pilots and mains need to be changed

Thanks for the info.
Motor is stock, I just fitted new crank bearings and seals, new rings.
Stock air box and pipe, I intend to fit an Aaen quiet pipe sometime in the future.
Carbs are 38's off of a 96 Vmax

I've got some miles on the phazer now with vmax 600 carbs and Bender pipe(same exact thing as AAEN) and jetting is close to perfect, just a little on the rich side and I'm ok with that. Might be a little too rich with the stock pipe but I'd run it as is and adjust as necessary. Oh and I ditched the airbox and am running pods now too.

I've got some miles on the phazer now with vmax 600 carbs and Bender pipe(same exact thing as AAEN) and jetting is close to perfect, just a little on the rich side and I'm ok with that. Might be a little too rich with the stock pipe but I'd run it as is and adjust as necessary. Oh and I ditched the airbox and am running pods now too.

Hi YP, I have been following your posts on the phazer rebuild, nice work!
What are you running for main jets?

Whatever was stock for the 96 vmax 600. I went through the carbs when i got them and they were spotless but I didn't write down the jet sizes dummy me and now I forget. Either way they're running great and I think the vmax carbs are the best mod ever!

Thanks for the link to the pipe, a bit far from me though, hope to find one nearer.
Picking up my jetting tomorrow, I have the Vmax choke cables installed, throttle block on and oil pump and throttle cables routed.

Amazza76, I will post pics tomorrow and this weekend, did you make any progress yet with your sons Phazer?.

Back