Clutch Nightmare!

Viktory2k1

VIP Member
This is for a 1994 Arctic Wildcat 700EFI.
I bought a used motor for this last season. Bought it not running and never got it to run right(long story). My theory is that the clutch blew apart and threw the crank phase off slightly due to a new clutch on motor and upward dent on beltguard right above clutch.
Well, A few days ago I wanted to do some work to it and ground froze under it. I freed it up but a good 4" of lawn on both skis. Sled didn't want to move(does this alot, just burn belt). I really smoked the belt but got it in garage. Its an old belt anyway. I did the work I intended to do and decided to check into the driveline. I was going to dial in this clutch also but no one seems to know too much about these. The used motor in sled has a comet 108c with green/yellow spring and A-52 weights, driven is stock.
After examining, I found a crack on outer sheave of 108c. Maybe 1.5 inches long. So I thought well this clutch is junk along all the info I found out about a nice setup. I do not have a comet puller but I do have a master bolt-grip puller that the forcing screw happens to be 3/4-18. So I thought Id use that(pulled a 102c off with it before). well, I got the screw jammed in the clutch, actually the adapter I put on it. I couldn't get it out for the life of me so I decided to cut the clutch off. I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel in it for most of the work and an air cutoff tool for the surgical part. An hour or 2 I had it off with just a nick in crank that you can barely feel with fingernail. Now the original motor has a very new looking Arctic cat clutch on it #0746-417. Date 11-18-2006, red spring and 527-50 5 weights on it. I do not have a puller for this one either so I bought a 14mm-1.5 bolt and tried the hydraulic method. didn't go nuts on it but didn't work. I do have both pullers on order and should have them tuesday. Threads in "new"clutch are a little banged up. Looks like someone didnt have a thin enough socket and under torqued it as I saw thread marks on retainer bolt. I think they make a socket for this but I managed to get a snap-on 7/8 in there enough to get bolt out. Once I get this clutch on the other motor, does anyone have any good setup ideas? I guess this the year of clutches for me. If the pics work, the crack starts at the end of screwdriver and goes outward and 2 pics of the clutch I am going to use. I guess the only way this could be worse is if I hadn't noticed the crack. First time I ever had to cut a clutch off.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 14

Looks like the cover bushing is shot on the new clutch, I would just use the stock clutching calibration and go from there.

I think what your seeing in that pic is crap tangled around and a little between cover and bushing I hope. Looks like belt material. Is that clutch stock?
I heard these sled have quite a bit of hidden power with correct clutching. More then most, just like a T-cat.
I will remove cover anyways and get that stuff out of there. I know I am going to have some alignment issues due to the almost 1 inch stack of washers behind secondary.

Back