79' ET 340 with 88' ET 340 Motor

02SierraDur

Hey guys,

I'm just looking to get the old sled going for the season. Last year the carb boot sucked air and I blew one piston on the original motor. I picked up a 88' enticer 340 for parts thinking I could swap the motor. I have pulled the 79' motor, swapped cooling shrouds and installed the 88' motor in the 79' sled. Everything seemed identical except the cooling shrouds and the 79 was e-start and the 88 didn't come with that option. When connecting all the wires up all the wires were identical in colour except two. A black and yellow striped wire coming off the motor is now connected to a blew wire. (They were the only ones left unconnected so i figured they must have changed for year to year). I swapped my 79' coil onto the 88' motor as the motor came without one. I now have no spark and am running out of ideas. I checked continuity between the motor and the coil and the coil and the ground. Everything seems good there. Any other ideas? Would the CDI boxes have changed? I am pretty green to electrical so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you know if there's a way to test the stator? It would save me from pulling the motor apart. I have also heard of tors. I'm not sure if this yellow and black wire would have anything to do with the tors. Ideally if I could compare wiring diagrams off both years I could figure out what's going on. Only seem to be able to find a 79-80 manual. Thanks for the reply!

88 would have had TORS, Black/white stripe wire was usually the TORS wire in those days. Grounding it to black would would activate TORS. If you have a black/white stripe wire coming out of the 88 stator leave it unplugged.

Yellow/black stripe was a 12v power source for warmers.

79 didn't have either of them. Early ET twins timed off the PTO cylinder. Later off the mag side. Can't remember for sure but I think 79 was PTO timed. 88 would have been mag side.

Used the stator and flywheel off the 79 engine,

Should solve the problem.

opsled

PS, if you want your E-start to work just have someone mill off the crankcase where the starter would go. It can be done if the engine is stripped of the cooling parts, stator/flywheel and intake manifold. The 79 flywheel has the ring gear and the 79 case can be measured so the machine shop knows how much to take off.

Not a hard

Back