2015 MN TY Ride

sleddineinar

VIP Member
Less than a month away! We are using my house in Ely again this year. Hopefully they get more snow. I see there is 3-5" in the forecast for Saturday. I have room for about 8-10 people at the house, maybe more if some don't mind bring blow up mattresses or sleeping on the couch. If anyone doesn't want to stay at the house there is plenty of lodging in Ely & a couple places in Babbitt, both are 10 minutes or less from my place.Let me know if you're coming. Room at my house will be on first come basis.

Anybody coming? Looks like we should have between a 12-18" by then. Not much for off trail, but trails should be alright. the only issue I can for see is that the local clubs in Babbitt/Ely/Tower are doing there annual Fun-run on Saturday. We could make a ride to the Trestle Inn by Finland on Saturday, that would steer us away from the Fun-run, and there is a bit more snow in that direction. Let me know if you are interested. Otherwise we can postpone till February in hopes of more snow.

Last edited:
Anybody coming? Looks like we should have between a 12-18" by then. Not much for off trail, but trails should be alright. the only issue I can for see is that the local clubs in Babbitt/Ely/Tower are doing there annual Fun-run on Saturday. We could make a ride to the Trestle Inn by Finland on Saturday, that would steer us away from the Fun-run, and there is a bit more snow in that direction. Let me know if you are interested. Otherwise we can postpone till February in hopes of more snow.

Maybe on Friday. Got basketball on Thursday night and again on Saturday. So would just be for the day on Friday. Would like to see the snow conditions improve before making the drive though.

OK, I talked to Mr. Sled. In hopes of more snow and because the local club is having a Fun Run on the 24th of Jan. I'm going to postpone the ride until Feb. 20-22. I will be there Thursday afternoon the 19th, so if anyone wants to get there early and ride all day Friday we can do that. SO NEW DATE!!! FEB 20-22

I was just up in Ely this weekend and the trails aren't too bad. The bigger lakes are a bit rough, our lake is smaller and the snow was fine, the swamps were a little bumpy, but also not bad. More snow than I thought there would be. They are getting some more snow up there today, and hopefully they will get some more, before the ride. I'll keep an eye on the conditions. Please let me know if you are coming and need a place to stay. I have a few people who have already contacted me.

should be good to go now, 6-8" in the past 2 days. Cold temps should keep the snow healthy until the ride!

There's a bit more snow around Ely, not as much as last year, but it will be very ridable. I'll be up there on Thursday, so if anybody can ride Thursday afternoon & evening, meet me there. The address is 1385 Forsman Rd., Ely. My cell # is 763-439-5748.

Friend of mine was just at the mn usa event in ifalls and said it was really nice there but the snow doesn't start until about 30 miles south of there. Reposrts from the north shore are that its pretty good too so ely should be in good shape as well :)

I just got chance to look at the MNDNR trail reports for the Ely area. AWESOME NEWS!! They report that the trails are in Very Good condition!
I'm on long weekend so I'll be around the whole weekend. What time are we kickin it off Friday? Might even come up Thursday afternoon depending on when you get up here.

My cousins from Ely were out this morning and rode to Tower and Babbitt on the Taconite & said the trails were very nice. I'll be driving up as soon as I relieve myself of the kids at the bus stop. That's around 7:15 am, so I plan on being there around 10:30 or 11 am on Thursday.

To anybody that is coming today, I will be there a few hours later than I had thought, my sled is still not running and it's damn cold outside! I'm guessing I will be there still around 1 or 2pm. My cell is 763-439-5748.

Last edited:
To anybody that is coming today, I will be there a few hours later than I had thought, my sled is still not running and it's damn cold outside! I'm guessing I will be there still around 1 or 2pm. My cell is 763-439-5746.

I thought about coming up today but right now its -31 at my place and I also haven't hooked up the trailer yet so I'll probably be up Friday morning. That is unless there is a decent size group that wants to ride late this afternoon.

984287_10202821179005544_9106222380032215649_n.jpg

So this is what no snow looks likes... Only 4 of us made the ride on Saturday, but we had a great time! We got a nice little snow on Friday, snowed pretty much all day in Ely. Thursday I got up there and Rob (sr540) was there waiting, we unloaded and took a short ride. About 40 miles, it was cold Thursday night. Friday morning Brandon (BlueIronRanger) joined us, and we headed into Ely via the powerline and my sled wasn't running right, we got to town ate breakfast and after breakfast, I changed plugs and found out that I had a frozen carb and stuff getting eating in the cylinder, so I gave up for the day, Brandon & Rob rode another 85 miles (I think that what they said). I went to work on my second sled which was leaking gas & I found, what I had expected, I put the oil line between the pumps on backwards and the pressure popped the line off the oil pump. I got that fixed and we rode almost 190 miles on Saturday with Mark (Yamadoo) joining us. I did have a cold seize on my second sled and the very end of the ride, I haven't looked at it yet, so I'm not sure what damage it did. According to Rob, we put 300 miles on for the weekend, (he got there with a new Viper that had 35 miles on it and left with 335 miles on the odometer). I'm glad we got to help him break it in. Anyways, I had a great time, I hope the other guys can say the same thing.

Last edited:

Back