easier way to put suspension back in

I like to back the transfer rod bolts almost all the way out also,I also put tke rear shock adjustment to the top notch this lines the center right up.By placing a few pieces of pvc pipes across the inside/bottom of track really helps keep the rails & wheels from hanging up on the track drive bumps while sliding it in from the side.

thesledsurgeon said:
I like to back the transfer rod bolts almost all the way out also,I also put tke rear shock adjustment to the top notch this lines the center right up.By placing a few pieces of pvc pipes across the inside/bottom of track really helps keep the rails & wheels from hanging up on the track drive bumps while sliding it in from the side.

Good tip...I'll hafta try that nextime ;)!

Directions for installation:
loosen drive shaft bearing set screws
back off the transfer rod lower bolts 3/8-1/2 in
back off rear idler adjustment all the way, move axle ahead and tighten axle bolts.
put fra adjuster in the soft/upper setting.
lift sled so that the front shaft will just fit under the frame next to the drive shaft
then slide the front into the track so it is headed toward center
now reach through the track and pull the skid toward you while lifting it up and down
lower rear of sled while holding back on skid to pull it behind the drive shaft
now install the front bolts, dont tighten
now go to the rear bolts, lower the sled onto them(two putty knives help to guide it past the inner braces)
install these bolts, don't tighten
now lift the back of the sled, the weight of the suspension will lift the center/fra shaft into place, you may need to wiggle it a bit to get it up past the rivets(this is the reason for not tightening any bolts and loosening the bearing locks)
now tighten all suspension bolts
lock tight and tighten the bearing set screws
tightening the suspension first will make sure that the bearing has no side load on it.

so for some reason I can not edit my post so after sliding the skid to the front, you need it to go past the drivers, this is why it is necessary to have the sled so high. It gives you extra room to slide the rear in.

Once you use this method a few times, removal and installation is a 5min thing.

Back