Need advice on towing w/o truck

chadzeilenga

I sold my F150 a few years ago to save on gas for my 80mi work commute and now have my wifes 04 Civic. While it's great on gas, I'm not sure of the towing capability. Everything I have read says that the car will tow up to 2000lb, but I've never towed anything with a 4cyl or FWD car. My plan is to borrow a 4x8 Nuway trailer (~300lbs) and tow my SS440 which should be a pretty light load on the vehicle. I figure I'll run into trouble if there are bad road conditions and will be light on traction, but has anyone else run a similar configuration? Any advice/tips? I was thinking of possibly adding trans cooler when I install the hitch. At the moment it's my only option to get my sled up to WI or MI.

good snow tires on the car, leave a good braking gap and take your time is about the only tips might help. load is light enough that you probably will not notice it until in the hills. I have towed my brothers rhino behind my mothers awd eqinox 4 cylinder witch has the same tow rating. it and the trailer where about 2200lb and I could feel it back there pretty good.

sounds like you should just get a new truck and switch with your wife during the week, or get a colarado 4x4 or sometime light duty like that to pull trailers and still get good mileage.

New canyons I hear are very good on fuel! But anyways, a 300lb trailer and a 400lb sled...you'll be fine. Drive accordingly.

Trailer done!

Finally an update! I updated my free trailer with a free bedliner and old sled track. Sled drove right up! Now I just gotta center it for load and get some tires!

Thanks for the bedliner & track Dannyboy

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

Last edited:

Back