Making a mini Mountain Lite of a Venture 485 TF ??

Lasse

Hi !

Yesterday I accidently run into a ( 1991 ) Venture 485 TF 153" for $700
( same owner since new ) in mint condition.

...and I thought that it would be a nice upgrade for my youngest doughter ( 14 years ) as a cheap and light backcountry sled.
She now rides the hell out of a ( 1990 ) Ovation/CS-340 Long 136"

I was thinking something like this:
* Getting rid of the electric start. --> Less weight.
* Ditch the 2-up seat and put on a single seat from a Phazer-I. --> Less weight and better looks.
* 8-teeth No-slip drivers.
* 144" x 15" x 1,352" or 144" x 15" x 1,25" track instead of the 153" x 15" x 0,5" conveyor belt that is on today. ----> Nimbler sled and less weight.
* Boyesen reeds.
* Single pipe.
* Cold air intake.
* Polaris "Gripper" skis.
* Clutch kit !?!?
* Exciter-SX TSS shocks.

....I need inspiration and tips on cheap modifications that works !!

:2strokes:

Last edited:

very sweet lets see some pics as it progresses also how about swapping skids and swapping front struts for skidoo struts

Sounds like a fun little project. Why do you wish to down size your track. If your going to purchase extros, just get some 2.52/7 toothers to increase your lug height options. A 2.86 7 tooth driver is the same diameter as an 8 tooth 2.52
That might be enough to put a 1.6 Cobra underneath.

Last edited:
Very sweet lets see some pics as it progresses also how about swapping skids and swapping front struts for skidoo struts
Why change the Yamaha TSS struts to Ski-Doo LTS struts ?

Why do you wish to down size your track lenght ?
If your going to purchase extros, just get some 2.52/7 toothers to increase your lug height options.
1. A 144" ( 2,52" pitch ) track is to keep the sled agile and nimble.

2. 1,352" is the highest lug heigt you can run with 8-teeth 2,52" pitch drivers inside the Phazer chassis.

3. I'm not to happy about going for a smaller diameter drive sprocket since it messes up the tracks approach angle against the snow.
...yes you could mount the skid in another position,
but that gives the sled longer "wheelbase" and that is not good for the riding enjoyment and the handling of the sled.

Last edited:
Reverse... ?

The sled has Reverse and I'm going to keep it.
...but how to knew what gearing it came with when new ?

Attachments

• Venture vxl låda 2.JPG
    Venture vxl låda 2.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 9
  • venture vxl låda 3.jpg
    venture vxl låda 3.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the skidoo struts would be lighter weight and also have a better ride quality with more travel just a thought that I have been planning

only holds 1/4-1/3 of a litre if I rember correctly as it is the same chaincase as my et410. the ventures had a dipstick though where the et had to have a bolt removed to check the level.

Help with clutching... ?

Anyone know of a useful clutch set up for a 144" track in the Phazer-I/II chassis ?

* Chaincase gearing: 17/38
* Riding height: 1300-2600 Feet.
* Rider weight: 150 lb.

Today with the stock clutch parts the engagement is ~2600 Rpm
and I would like to have engagement @ 3500~3800 Rpm.
I want it to have a smooth engagement ( so big NO for notched weights )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have not yet take apart the clutches, but according to the parts list this is the parts:

1991 , Yamaha Venture-480 151" ( YPZ clutches )

# 85T-W176A-00 , Clutch weight.
# 90501-527E3 , Primary clutch spring.

# 88N-17684-00 , Helix.
# 90508-50746 , Secondary clutch spring.

:oops: Since I'm not a Yamaha guy I do not have a clue what the above part #'s mean in reality ! :oops:

Last edited:
Also check under the hood for oil amount, there should be a sticker listing plug, air fuel adjustment, etc.
I think you could get away with 1.5" track easily with 8 tooth drivers, possibly a 1.6" cobra....1.75" might be pushin it.
You might have to switch to 7 tooth drivers for a 1.75" and if you want a 2" paddle you'll need to switch for sure!

Clutching with 144" track

There are endless clutch setups out there....
but the Yellow/White spring with a set of 87F weights in the primary
( the Yellow/White spring was stock in the 76 Exciter 440 )
with stock helix and Yellow/Green secondary spring set in B-2 is a great all around trail set up.
Will this work with 17/38 gearing and 144" track ?
Will this give the sled a smooth engagement ?
Engagement Rpm ?

Primary clutch weight: # 87F-W176A-00-00
Primary spring: # 90501-55388-00 , Yellow/White

Part # on the Helix since there is many different listed for the Phazer-I/II ?
Part # on the Yellow/Green secondary spring ?

Is there any primary clutch springs chart for the YPZ clutch ?
Is there any clutch weight chart to get hold of for the YPZ clutch ?
Is there any Helix chart to get hold of for the Phazer-I/II secondary clutch ?
Is there any secondary clutch spring chart to get hold of for the Phazer-I/II secondary clutch ?

:oops: Many questions but I trying to learn ! :oops:

Last edited:
Feel free to comment....

I found this in an old post on another snowmobile forum:

Quote:
Retiredpop
I have been running a ( 1991 ) Phazer-II LT 136" with AAEN single can pipe for a couple of years.
My setup is as follows:
Gearing: 17/33 with 7-teeth drivers.
Track: 136"x15"x1.5"
Primary has 8VO weights.
Wht-Lt.Grn spring , Part # 90501-555A0-00 , spring rate 2.85 kg/mm preload 26 kg
This gives a nice low engagement so you don't dig a hole on takeoff in soft fluffy snow.
I really like the Wht-Lt.Grn in my Phazer.
Secondary setup I have a Grn/Yel spring run in B2 position.
I would highly recommend the 39 degree helix , Part # 88R 17684-00.
This probably made the single biggest difference to get it operating at the preferred 7200 rpm for the AAEN pipe.
It holds at 7200 rpm now when climbing or in heavy snow.
Previously with the 47 degree stock helix it would never go over 6800 rpm unless on hardpack.

Sled is ridden usually between 5000-7000 feet.

Comments on the above ?
Are any of the above useful in my project ?
( Remember that my sled will be used in 1300-2600 Feet, with 144" track, 8-teeth drivers and to begin with stock exhaust )

Last edited:
87F = Phazer II YPZ weights. pn# 87F-W176A-00-00 Will a 38t bottom sprocket even fit in the Phazer gear case?? I think stock is around 29??

Back