79 Enticer 340 will not idle

got-wood

I have searched the thread for answers but only seem to find suggestions of what I have tried so far. 4400 kliks on this engine which I have just put new rings into. The carb is rebuilt and I have had the thing off about 69 times so far looking for answers. I cannot find any evidence of any leaks with a can of ether or otherwise. Everything is in good shape and it runs good at higher RPM although seems to flatten out and fat at WOT!? As soon as you slow down to idle it's starving for fuel. These carbs are so simple, hence my frustration. I have adjusted the enrichner plunger all the way out to the point that there is no more adjustment left yet I still have to constantly flick the enricher/choke to keep it running at low rpm as if it is still blocking the fuel from the idle circuit!? The idle circuit is clean without any obstructions other than the enrichner/choke plunger. I'm out of ideas. Anybody run into this before? What the heck am I missing?

Last edited:

I'm new to the Enticer world (just bought another 250 Sunday). I know the 340 is a twin and that's about it.

Do both plugs look the same?

I only ask because I couldn't detect a leaking mag side crank seal on an SS440 by spraying it last week.

I only found it by pulling the flywheel... and finding a critter nest in the recoil and fiberglass insulation wrapped around the crank.

Just a thought.

check the crank seals. sounds similar to what our 78 was doing before we did the seals. motor had fresh top end as well and was behaving almost exactly the same. when we did them, the lip was basically gone on the fan side and the pto side was not much better.

I guess that's a summer job. The plugs look good so after it passed the test with the ether and a straw, with kids lined up to ride, I just did the top. :o|

Been a long time, sleds have been in storage. Did the cranks seals and I'm having the same problem. The idle circuit is supplied fuel via the enrichener circuit. In other words, the plunger has to be adjusted off the bottom so fuel gets by for the idle circuit. I have adjusted till I'm blue in the face. Stop one time and it idles, but most time it needs to continually flick the choke lever to keep it running. Like the plunger is not adjusted off the bottom or there is something else in there causing this!? Carb has been off again and again, no foreign matter, thing is adjusted!!!! I'm beat.

My 1980 was doing something similar no matter how a adjusted the card and cleaned it with an ultrasonic parts washer with heat.
I got it close at one point but the fuel / air mixture screw was way off factor specs, almost 2 full turns out, it would idle but bog down under throttle.

I decided to get another carb from a 84 340 the one with the round bowl and sled fired right up and no bog.
Some guys have swapped them for a more modern carb, do a few searches on the specs for the jets.

In the end I think the jets/pilot were too far off specs to get a proper adjustments.

All cleaned and checked, new crank seals. Both plugs the same and perfect. Managed to adjust it the other day and it was perfect, put some SEA FOAM in it. Idled perfect, then rode it for about 15 minutes, stopped, doing the same damn thing again!?! Went back to it again this weekend, started it, idled perfect, rode it around a bit, same thing!?! I have that damn carb off two dozen times, pretty sure carb boot is good, but going to tear it apart again, new fuel lines and filter, [in]spect everything. This carb was taken into the local YAMAHA dealer before, sonic cleaned and new jets. Bout ready to look for a newer carb.:o|

sounds like the carb is fine. now it sounds like an eletrical issuse when the sled heats up. might be in spec when it is cold but goes out of spec when the sled heats up. dad/kids 79 et250 had a stator issue that it would start cutting out once the sled got hot.

Lol, couldn't really say, went through everything, AGAIN! It was all clean, everything was good just as before. When I started it, was doing the same thing, but spent about 15 minutes adjusting with it running, just kept flipping the choke lever to keep it going til I found the apparent sweet spot. Too much and it is too fat, too little and it won't idle. Couldn't believe the difference was less than and eighth of a turn! Finicky little bugger. It's finally snowing though so I'll be able to ride my SRX! Should be a little boy on the Enticer though.

Cleaning the pilot circuits on these girls can be tricky. It only takes a small amount of gum to interfere with flow. The three front holes and the pilot jet hole all need to be clear. I usually use an ultrasonic and then shoot a whole bunch of carb cleaner in through the air screw hole and blast from that side to push any stuff out.

If you can find a carb from an 85 or up, and change the engine side boot as well, you can likely get better performance. The 32mm are better than the 34mm that predated them.

Back