93 exciter dies when hot

nick5oh

Hey guys new to the site glad to be here :) dad and I are Yamaha guys and always have been. He bought an XL-V brand new in 85. It was stolen around 93/94 and since about 98/99 he's been buying more and more. Currently we have an 86 XL-V, an 87 XL-V, an 88 phazer, 2 87 phazers and a 93 exciter.

2 winters ago I was out on the exciter and when I came to a stop she just died, like no ignition. No stumble or bog it was just like turning the key off. It was running great and all especially for the warm weather (mid February sunny day around 0degrees). It had no spark whatsoever. Got towed home by a good guy on our lake. We let it sit and in the summer my dad fired it up no issues. He ran it for 1/2 hour or so and then left it.
Last winter we had some issues with the clutch where it would stay engaged slightly and when coming to a stop it would stall.
This winter it was driving great except for a couple times the clutch was sticky. We just recently removed the primary and cleaned it all, the sliders were gummed up quite a bit. We put new pins and washers in the weights and rollers and we don't have the tools to change the bushings. We put it back together and the sled was running a lot better until about an hour into the trails she died. Just like the key turned off. No spark at all. Got back home, went to get it with the truck. Once home we pulled it over and it fired first pull lol. I hit the kill switch. We laughed at the thing. Tried to fire it again and boom no spark.
Anyone ever experience this or know where to start? We have all these sleds and so far only one reliable one lol. One is a parts sled and the other needs parts but we have a unreliable xlv and a unreliable exciter. So we're left with an xlv and a phazer to enjoy for now. Maintenance has been something we haven't kept up with but that is gonna change. We will be bringing all the sleds home this spring for a complete lookover. Thanks for the help guys

My Phazer did this a few times, I had thought it was no spark, spark was hard to see out on the trail.
Sled would run for an hour or so and stop dead.
Turned out it was a bad fuel line, it had an aftermarket fuel filter behind the airbox, hose was getting air at the connection to the filter.
Removed the filter, installed a new fuel line changed the filter in the tank and no problems since.
Just a thought before you go changing the expensive stuff.

Last edited:
My Phazer did this a few times, I had thought it was no spark, spark was hard to see out on the trail.
Sled would run for an hour or so and stop dead.
Turned out it was a bad fuel line, it had an aftermarket fuel filter behind the airbox, hose was getting air at the connection to the filter.
Removed the filter, installed a new fuel line changed the filter in the tank and no problems since.
Just a thought before you go changing the expensive stuff.

That's interesting. We have had some other issues that could be related to fuel. Mainly idle issues. Sometimes 1000, sometimes 2000, 1500 etc. however when we have this no spark issue there definitely is no spark, I understand visibility issues in high lighting scenarios but this was pitch black dark last night and no spark.

So we started the thing up today. It idled for at least a half hour. Did some checking of wires and what not. Found out some interesting things with the tors but I'll make another thread about that. Took it down to the lake about 100', it idled for another 15 minutes while we got ready, went to take off and once I got off the shore 25' or so I hit the throttle and boooooogggggggggg stall. Went to restart, no spark again. Primary coil winding resistance is .8ohms. Same resistance as the xlv with no issues. Went to check the secondary coil winding resistance and we could not get a reading using the Orange wire and the spark plug wire. ????? Yamaha Manual for 84-89 sleds tells us to check with the wire caps removed cause they may be the issue. How do these come apart?

Anyone know of a place to get a manual to troubleshoot? 93 exciter sx 570 thanks guys

Last edited:
The plug caps are threaded like a bolt on to the wire. Just unscrew. Next time its dies on you, try turning the handle bars one direction or the other (or both) and see if your spark comes back. If nothing else, try bypassing the kill switch.

The plug caps are threaded like a bolt on to the wire. Just unscrew. Next time its dies on you, try turning the handle bars one direction or the other (or both) and see if your spark comes back. If nothing else, try bypassing the kill switch.

Will do, since it died earlier today we have tried it 3 more times and nothing. I can by pass the kill switch the same way people bypass the tors I assume? I managed to find a nice manual over on excitersx.com so if I still come up with nothing I can check the coil, pick up coil etc etc. thanks for the help by the way

Bringing this back from the dead! Still have the sled, still haven't threw anything at it to fix the no spark issue. Wiring has checked out bang on in regards to the pick up coil, secondary winding resistance, primary coil resistance. No other electrical issues with the sled other than the no spark which is intermittent. Biggest problem is....since last winter we tried to get a Cdi box from Royal distributing, they don't carry and can't get, tried a yammy dealer-obsolete....so we're left with getting a used one to try. I guess it's cheaper than new so that's a plus-especially since we don't know that the cdi is the issue.
The manual I found online gives no info whatsoever in regards to doing any testing of the Cdi box.

Once insulation warms up on a compromised electrical component,it quickly grounds out which = non conductive. Wait a 1/2 hour until the components are cool and the internal insulation has swelled back up, and your back up and running. For at least a short period of time till everything heats back up again. My problem was a coil on a JDX.

I have had the orange wire on the external coil short out on my sled at one time. It would pop and back fire, other times it would not have spark. Just a suggestion.

Once insulation warms up on a compromised electrical component,it quickly grounds out which = non conductive. Wait a 1/2 hour until the components are cool and the internal insulation has swelled back up, and your back up and running. For at least a short period of time till everything heats back up again. My problem was a coil on a JDX.

Yeah that all makes sense...we tried a coil from a different sled (XLV) and still no spark, and the exciter coil had spark on the XLV

I have had the orange wire on the external coil short out on my sled at one time. It would pop and back fire, other times it would not have spark. Just a suggestion.

Are you referring to the ignition coil? The coil that the plug wires are attached to? That's something I could look into I guess. I guess no one has seen a cdi failure? This sled only has 4000 kms on it.

Your problem sounds like a bad cdi to me. My dad had a chainsaw that would start and run great but after a few minutes dead. No spark. Let it cool down then it be fine.
I have a 9.9 Evenrude that had the same sytoms. Started and ran fine after a few minutes, sputtered and dead! Again bad cdi. Now the chainsaw works great and the 9.9 outboard has ran perfect for 7 years.

It is very possible it is the CDI causing the issue. You can use a CDI from a std 93 Exciter as well if you cant find an SX CDI. It has to be from a 93 because the plugs are different on them than any other year.

Back