XLV 540 144" build!

Cooper0809

After my buddies have set the bar high with building XLV 540s 144". - 156" with 2" paddle tracks it has me thinking I'm going to be building one over the summer! These sleds are light and have plenty of power to go anywhere. My buddy with the 156" 540 says its a beast and just climbs! He's had to change drivers and gearing of course...

just bought a 144" ripsaw for $200, I know it's not a paddle track but it's cheap and it'll get me started. I'll end up buying a deeper lug track later on. Now I need a 144" RS venture skid and an XLV 540 sled! This should be a fun build! I'll keep yas updated for anybody who's interested in the build!

SWEET, do it! Found a pic of a stretched XL-V online.

2012-12-08_11-52-02_641.jpg

All my buddies have the XLV leaf spring models. Not really a fan of the pogos on the SRVS... It's the exact same sled. But i think I'll be looking for an XLV. He did a great job of fabricating in the pogos, but I would've left it. That hood was mint!

Just took possession of the 144" 1.25 ripsaw. Has 7000km on it with one stud pull through, no big deal though. It's in pretty good shape for $200!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 21
Haha! I can't wait to get started! We need a second bathroom in the basement and that is first priority...unfortunately:o|. So this build will probably be an all "3 season build". Lol

Started shopping for handle bars, risors, grips, and all those goodies in the royal catalog last night! Wondering what kind of seat I should put on it though....a boss seat would be kewl, but way too much money. I need something similar though.

My hood was FAR from mint. It's been fixed and needs to be fixed again from something being left under the hood and being shut on. Why TSS is better than leafs? Only adds a few pounds, rides better and by the time you pack leaf springs full of snow, TSS is probably lighter. Have fun with your build and keep updating. It will be cool seeing another take on the XLV from a different angle.

It sure did look nice pretty nice when ya first picked it up....pictures can be deceiving sometimes I guess! Lol is yours a 136 or 144?

Mine is just a 136. Plenty of grunt with the stock gears. You might want to gear down just a hair for a 144. I wouldn't go too much lower though or you'll start losing precious track speed. These motors only turn 7200 rpm.

Hey YooperWoods, I'd be surprised if you haven't seen my sled if you ever get into Ontonagon county. It's there all winter every winter. My cousin usually pilots it.

Hey YooperWoods, I'd be surprised if you haven't seen my sled if you ever get into Ontonagon county. It's there all winter every winter. My cousin usually pilots it.

I haven't ridden in Ontonagan county in years, more like decades. Pretty much just ride northern Marquette county since that's where my camp is and we always base out of there. Cool XLV you got there would love to see it though. Nice job on the pogo transplant! Funny my Phazer is ridden by my cousin as well.

Well I've found a running sled and a parts sled about 4hrs away for $750....going to be picking them up this Saturday. The parts sled has the engine disassembled and supposedly missing a piston so previous owner before him probly rebuilt it....he said he bought it this way. Parts sled is missing the seat and skis as well but I guess everything else is there.

Running sled he says runs good but he's saying the choke sticks and that he has to tap on the side of the carb to unstick it. Probly just needs a carb cleaning and a new choke cable. Says tracks are good on both...but it's comin off anyways and so is the ripped seat and the barn door of a windshield. Really excited to pick them up but not too excited about the 8-9hr round trip...oh well.

No, but there's a story behind those 2 sleds. Those 2 XLVs are sold, they guy just hasn't deleted the ad...and same with the one in haliburton with the sleigh on skis for $1200...that would've been a good deal.*
Anyways, I emailed the guy in parry sound last Thursday night and he said he's got a guy coming from 2hrs away to look at them on Friday and that I should come up to have a look if I want them. Told him I couldn't make it until Saturday.
So then I got thinking, maybe it was my buddy who was going up. So I emailed the guy back again and asked if the guy said exactly where he was coming from. He replied back with my buddies name in question. Well, I said F*** really really loud because I knew he was going to be taking them home with him.
So I text my buddy and jokingly said "those are mine, and I told the guy not to sell them to you!" He said he had a day off and what better way to spend it! Lol
I'm not going to say current location of these other sleds until they are on my truck & trailer Saturday, don't need anybody buyin these ones before me...don't think it will happen, but just playin it safe. Lol
I might even come home with 3 XLVs if this other guy drops his price. He's wants to sell, but doesn't like my offer. So I put a bit of pressure on him and told him Saturday only...I'll be in the same area as these other 2 XLVs so might as well make the trip well worth while!

Do yourself a favor and ditch the junk mikuni that comes on these things. The keihin carb from the SRV/SA 440 is by far superior.

Back