New yamaha 2 stroke sled?

I really dont think Yamaha will be bringing back a 2 stroke with the way emissions are in the States but who knows.

They have to get ROI back on a new 2 stroke engine if developed,sharing it in a new superjet PWC would help get back that cost(700cc twin exist in that model now).Would they sell enough Superjets to offset the cost(and would the motor design work in two different applications?).Much easier to make a fourstroke based on the 873cc triple from the FZ-09.

If they did sell a 2 stroke again it would probably be an arctic cat painted blue with some yamaha decals on it.

The solution to the stroke problem is to jump ships. I would, if I could afford.

I'd love to see them at least make a two stroke for the mountain market. Here in the Pacific Northwest it is a pretty rare thing to see a Yamaha anymore. Even the folks that turbo them end up going to a two stroke due to the weight.
While I don't see it ever happening, it sure would be nice to have a reliable option to go with. I can't believe that people are willing to pay $14k-$18k for a sled that needs a top end every 2k miles...if they're lucky and it makes it that long. Completely ridiculous that consumers are letting companies get away with the horrible quality that we see these days. Not only is the quality terrible, but consumers are performing the testing for them as well. Companies seem to think it's fine as long as they cover it with warranty, without any consideration of the inconvenience of not having a machine that can only be used 2-3 months out of the year in the shop for one month of that time.
My 16 year old Viper has had exactly one part failure (stator, didn't strand me) in its lifetime so far. No, it won't go where the new ones will...but every single time I feel like riding, my sled is in 100% working order and able to be used.

Yeah it would be nice to see a Yami two-stroke(One that didn,t grenade in 2000 miles) .My local dealer said there is an all new sled from japan for 2020,but its not a mountain sled,either trail or new utility sled.Seems there alot of sales in utility units for the market outside North America.

I guess I'm kind of tired of listening to mountain sled guys cry about not getting what they want. The focus on deep powder sleds and snow cross sleds is ruining the sport in my opinion. Both types get the schitt beat out of them all the time and it seems like everyone has to modify them right away then bitch when something is broke. You can't make one light or powerful enough. Never happy. No money in it and Yamaha knows it. I doubt you'll see them doing anything that doesn't end with corporate profit. Two strokes and mountain sleds are not part of that equation. To many negatives.. I mean look,, they even get bashed for NOT making something that apparently nobody else can make without failures.

Who wants any part of that action.

opsled

I guess I'm kind of tired of listening to mountain sled guys cry about not getting what they want. The focus on deep powder sleds and snow cross sleds is ruining the sport in my opinion. Both types get the schitt beat out of them all the time and it seems like everyone has to modify them right away then bitch when something is broke. You can't make one light or powerful enough. Never happy. No money in it and Yamaha knows it. I doubt you'll see them doing anything that doesn't end with corporate profit. Two strokes and mountain sleds are not part of that equation. To many negatives.. I mean look,, they even get bashed for NOT making something that apparently nobody else can make without failures.

Who wants any part of that action.

opsled

Some good points! I get kind of tired of the "alpha sled bro" guys dominating the conversation everywhere, as if the entire world of snowmobiling revolves around their experience. It's commonly viewed as normal that engines blow and sleds rip apart early and fast. It's almost impossible to have a conversation about what reliability really means with that kind of chatter out there. Just beat the piss out of it and buy a new one with your unlimited sled bro money, right? And agreed that there is a lot of just flat-out equipment abuse happening.

Would love to see all the manufacturers start to focus more attention on simple, light, repairable, low power, entry level sleds that would attract a new generation of young riders and allow us to teach kids how to properly maintain their sleds on their own.

What if this rumored new two-stroke is the VK540 EPA compliment engine in a all yamaha chassis to aim at the entry level market(Indy 550 fighter)?

Last edited:
When do the 2020 models get released online?? If this thing like the arctic cat 300 itl have a 300cc liquid single efi motor. and ill be buying one hehe!!

Back