Octane??????

700sxvermonter

Hey 2 strokers just wondering what the highest octane you guys run in your 700 triples. Would mixing airplane fuel with 91 or 93 hurt anything if the mix wasn't to heavy on the airplane fuel side? This would be going in a stock sx viper 700

Of course, the higher the octane the better....helps prevent detonation. I have run 100LL straight with no issues whatsoever.

You get the most power, from the lowest octane your motor is able to run.
93 is going to make sure you dont have detonation in a stock Viper, 87 wont.
Anything higher than that, and you will lose power.

Agreed on the statement above. No race gas needed for a stock machine. If available run non ethanol.

Regarding 100LL aircraft fuel. Its a very high quality fuel intended for low RPM air cooled airplane engines. I used to blend 50/50 with non ethanol fuel and it does run good and priced fairly low roughly 4.50 a gallon. If you run a mod engine and need race gas the best option would be 110 -112 cam two, Phillips, VP and priced at $9 or10 a gallon intended for high RPM and blend that 50/50 or 60/40.
---mac---

be alot better to raise the needles on a viper and use premium fuel. they have higher compression and more ignition timing then a srx. theres articles in tech on how to do it.

This guy says his engine is boggy in another thread and is looking to make this engine more snappy. He needs to figure out if its a lean bog or a rich bog. Then adjust from there. I would agree race gas should not be the solution.

Did you buy the sled used? Could someone else already have adjusted the needles?
Sometimes its best to pull the carb rack and verify the pilots, needle, nozzel, main jet. Bring everything back to stock.

You get the most power, from the lowest octane your motor is able to run.
93 is going to make sure you dont have detonation in a stock Viper, 87 wont.
Anything higher than that, and you will lose power.

Thanks....I definitely run highest non ethanol all the time. I never put anything less in my baby. I just didn't now if high octane would help with power. Just thinking of cheap way to gain power but that's not one so thanks for answering that.

This guy says his engine is boggy in another thread and is looking to make this engine more snappy. He needs to figure out if its a lean bog or a rich bog. Then adjust from there. I would agree race gas should not be the solution.

Did you buy the sled used? Could someone else already have adjusted the needles?
Sometimes its best to pull the carb rack and verify the pilots, needle, nozzel, main jet. Bring everything back to stock.

Oh sorry for the confusion it's not boggy I'm just trying to get alittle more snap out of this triple. The sled runs great. I just would like alittle more low end that's all. But thanks for the input. I appreciate it:2strokes:

Back