Phazer Engine mods

Yamahammer485

Hey everyone

Looking ahead to a possible summer project, which is to find a perfectly good running engine out of a 99-01 phazer, mountain lite or venture XL including carbs and Y-pipe. Then find an outfit who does porting on phazers (still looking for someone with a phazer who had theirs ported and it still be reliable), then put an aftermarket pipe like AAEN and put my V-Force 3 reeds in. Possibly some 36 round slide carbs off a V-max. And whatever else might make some reliable horsepower. Maybe thinner head gasket.

My goal in buying a secondary motor and carbs is so that I can run the mod engine, and in the case anything happens, I just plug in the original motor with carbs and I can be riding without any down time. This includes the stock clutches so for the mod engine, I will need both another secondary and primary.

Does anyone know of any power adders to this engine which will keep it reliable?, or at least somewhat reliable. I dont mind redoing the top end of a fan cooled every 5000 or so kms.

Thanks in advance and let me know what you think!

There are alot of things you can do to a phazer motor to make some reliable Hp. stock motors make about 55-58Hp and reliable Trail mod motors can make up around 80-85hp which is nice power in a light weight 84-98 Phazer. Here is the ticket for a reliable 80hp Phazer
1-Trail port job(Exh.port widened and polished,Transfers cleaned up)
2-Cyl. head squish bands relieved to .090(Keep head Gaskets for trail use)
3-Set of wiseco pistons(oversize if needed)Intake cut is more aggressive
4-Good Aftermarket pipe(Aaen quiet can,Psi single,Dg single)
5-Good set of reeds(Boyesen or V-force)
6-Mikuni 38mm Flatslides(better midrange tunabilty)
7-Bender cold air kit(84-98 only)
8-Bender torque arm(or make your own)
9-Always use premium fuel!!!

If you are planning on putting this motor in a 99 and up Phazer the pipe info is not of any use to you. I would call Aaen for there recommendation.

The power peak really depends on the pipe you choose But This info is right out of DYNOTECH's Modifed Phazer pipe shootout and the Aaen Quiet can's peak power is 83.7hp@7500 rpm.

If you really want to make the best use of this power you should have a good 3/4 to 1in track with 96 studs.

Also you could always use dry n2o system for a extra 20-25Hp to make it a Real sleeper!! :nos:

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.

My sled is the one you see in the pic. It is the newer phazer motor which stock made about 63hp. AAEN makes a pipe for it so thats not a problem. I also have the traction covered and Reeds covered right now, (see sig)

With the porting, is this something I could do with a die grinder or something I need done in a machine shop? The ideal thing id be hoping for is for someone to releive my squish band to .90 and port at the same time, like a machine shop who does sled and has credible work. Any ideas anyone for such a shop?

I was also thinking of NOS but was turned off it because of the set up needs and the potential for engine failure, not to menttion how short the power lasts. I would seriously look into it again if someone else with a phazer has already accomplished this.

Also, with the torque arm, all this does is limit engine movement, is this really going to be a problem, if it is, ill just make one and have it run to the frame somewhere.

Thanks again for all your help!

I used to have a 1990 Phazer LE set up like that phazer95. In it's day that thing was a real sleeper and very reliable.

Have a 2000 Phazer Mountain Lite with a Hauck pipe and clutching and the thing is a little sleeper! A real blast to ditch bang with as well!

Yamahammer485 said:
Thanks for your response.

My sled is the one you see in the pic. It is the newer phazer motor which stock made about 63hp. AAEN makes a pipe for it so thats not a problem. I also have the traction covered and Reeds covered right now, (see sig)

With the porting, is this something I could do with a die grinder or something I need done in a machine shop? The ideal thing id be hoping for is for someone to releive my squish band to .90 and port at the same time, like a machine shop who does sled and has credible work. Any ideas anyone for such a shop?

I was also thinking of NOS but was turned off it because of the set up needs and the potential for engine failure, not to menttion how short the power lasts. I would seriously look into it again if someone else with a phazer has already accomplished this.

Also, with the torque arm, all this does is limit engine movement, is this really going to be a problem, if it is, ill just make one and have it run to the frame somewhere.

Thanks again for all your help!

No problem! After i started typing I thought you might be using a newer chassis. There are porting templates available for phazer motors to do it yourself but if your not handy with a die grinder it would probably be best to leave it to a pro. Ask your local sled shop for a recomendation on good machine shop that does sled motors. As for the torque arm I would definatly recomend it! The more power you are making.. The more the motor will want to twist! And clutch alighnment is critical to put the power to the track!!
As far as n2o goes, Dry systems are really simple way to add Hp and are just for short bursts(500ft drags). Wet systems can add alot more power but are a bit more involved to install. If you decide on adding n2o DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! When installed and tuned properly they will not hurt your motor. ;)!

phazer95 said:
No problem! After i started typing I thought you might be using a newer chassis. There are porting templates available for phazer motors to do it yourself but if your not handy with a die grinder it would probably be best to leave it to a pro. Ask your local sled shop for a recomendation on good machine shop that does sled motors. As for the torque arm I would definatly recomend it! The more power you are making.. The more the motor will want to twist! And clutch alighnment is critical to put the power to the track!!
As far as n2o goes, Dry systems are really simple way to add Hp and are just for short bursts(500ft drags). Wet systems can add alot more power but are a bit more involved to install. If you decide on adding n2o DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! When installed and tuned properly they will not hurt your motor. ;)!

Thanks again and sorry for the delay in response.

It seems like if I mod the motor the torque arm will be needed.

So does anyone know of a business that is reputable or where you have had porting and head mods done and it was the quality you expected?. My dealer didnt help too much, they were kind of against the whole modding the engine thing.

Plus, what does it mean to releive the squish band. Is that how the dome is shaped?, and how will changing this increase power?

Thanks again

CB Performance Phazer Rebuild

I just had CB Performance (check the site sponsor list) rebuild a 1996 Phzaer which blew a motor. the sled had less than 400 miles and I did not want to junk it.

I had them port the cylinders and I also installed an AAen pipe.

The thing rumbles and moves!! I think the guys at CB said it went from around 50-something hp to over 70 with the mods!!

I am currently having them working on my 02 SRX: clutch kit, track with pics and sway bar.

The guys there (Bruce, his sons, one of which goes by 2000SRX on this site I believe) and the other guys in the shop are great!!

I would highly recommend them to anyone!!

BigMan76

I know eh, im still looking into it, dont think I forgot. If you parted it out, You would definately get a buyer for the engine.

Just right now making sure I have enough room to store another sled, itll be 5 now between all my family members.

Also, I was thinking, What if I got the Wiseco 499 pistons for the newer style engine, would this mean that it would have the SX style to it?

Also, Can you get factory oversized pistons?

And if I did get that motor, id have the head sent out to have the squish band set to .90. Anyone have any opinions on this so far..

Phazer95,

What do you meaqn by this mod.
2-Cyl. head squish bands relieved to .090(Keep head Gaskets for trail use

Thanks

Oh I knew you had the 499's, just wanted to see if I could put the newer SX style pistons in, (if theyre available)

I e-mailed Wiseco last night and probabally will not get a response until monday, but hoping that the pistons they make for the Newer phazer motors feature the stock SX style.

go200mph said:
Phazer95,

What do you meaqn by this mod.
2-Cyl. head squish bands relieved to .090(Keep head Gaskets for trail use

Thanks

Squish is the distance between piston and cyl. head at TDC. Milling the cyl. head gasket surface will bring the combustion chambers squish band closer to to the piston and will raise the compression ratio. ;)!

No response on the pistons yet, but im anxiously waiting for the e-mail.

I was surprised with the squish thing, I was expecting a slightly different shaped dome or something to change squish. Never realized that shaving the head had such a fancy name, lol

Im still looking around at shops to do possible mods and trying to decide on what I want to do for a summer project. Maybe ill just say screw it and buy an Attak, but then id be too afraid of it...

Hey dont forget, you can cut the stock pistons to SX piston specs for a guaranteed 3-4 hp even on a stock motor!

phazer95 said:
There are alot of things you can do to a phazer motor to make some reliable Hp. stock motors make about 55-58Hp and reliable Trail mod motors can make up around 80-85hp which is nice power in a light weight 84-98 Phazer. Here is the ticket for a reliable 80hp Phazer
1-Trail port job(Exh.port widened and polished,Transfers cleaned up)
2-Cyl. head squish bands relieved to .090(Keep head Gaskets for trail use)
3-Set of wiseco pistons(oversize if needed)Intake cut is more aggressive
4-Good Aftermarket pipe(Aaen quiet can,Psi single,Dg single)
5-Good set of reeds(Boyesen or V-force)
6-Mikuni 38mm Flatslides(better midrange tunabilty)
7-Bender cold air kit(84-98 only)
8-Bender torque arm(or make your own)
9-Always use premium fuel!!!

If you are planning on putting this motor in a 99 and up Phazer the pipe info is not of any use to you. I would call Aaen for there recommendation.

The power peak really depends on the pipe you choose But This info is right out of DYNOTECH's Modifed Phazer pipe shootout and the Aaen Quiet can's peak power is 83.7hp@7500 rpm.

If you really want to make the best use of this power you should have a good 3/4 to 1in track with 96 studs.

Also you could always use dry n2o system for a extra 20-25Hp to make it a Real sleeper!! :nos:

phazer95 said:
The liquid cooled sleds have a factory installed torque arm. Does not the Phazer?

No torque arm on the phazers.

Got the e-mail from Wiseco stating that they did an update on their piston in 2001 for the phazer, and that the piston will work for all the phazers through the years. And they said they didnt know if the piston was the same shape as the OEM one was. This sucks because if I get an overbore, ill have to use these pistons and they might not have the SX style to them. Unless it is possible to cut the Wisecos to the SX style.

Hey phazer95, whats with the "Intake cut is more aggressive" What does this mean?, on the Wiseco piston?

Back