Need phazer pipe information please...

gpxsrxracer said:
They dont look the same, they may perform the same.

Well here is the exact quote from DYNOTECH vol.4 #1 page 5
"The pipes we tested included the PSI single power pipe,PSI twins,DG single pipe(which looks EXACTLY like a PSI Single),Decker can pipe,Dynoport Single pipe,Aaen Quiet can pipe and the Aaen straight single silencer pipe"

These pipes where tested on a race modified phazer with flatslide carbs,porting and special Bender SX piston cut and very tight squish clearance of .050 that requires at least 100 octane fuel for anything longer than 1/8 mile runs.

Here are the peak power numbers
PSI Single-82.3@7500
PSI Twins-79.4@7750
DG single-83.2@7750-8000
Decker can-79.2@7250
Dynoport pipe-83.0@7500
Aaen quiet can-83.4@7500
Aaen single-82.5@7250

As you can see the DG has the broadest power peak on a modified motor.

The PSI Twins should only be used on a modified motor with flatslides but even then do not deliver the best power. :Moon:

phazer95 said:
Well here is the exact quote from DYNOTECH vol.4 #1 page 5
"The pipes we tested included the PSI single power pipe,PSI twins,DG single pipe(which looks EXACTLY like a PSI Single),Decker can pipe,Dynoport Single pipe,Aaen Quiet can pipe and the Aaen straight single silencer pipe"

These pipes where tested on a race modified phazer with flatslide carbs,porting and special Bender SX piston cut and very tight squish clearance of .050 that requires at least 100 octane fuel for anything longer than 1/8 mile runs.

Here are the peak power numbers
PSI Single-82.3@7500
PSI Twins-79.4@7750
DG single-83.2@7750-8000
Decker can-79.2@7250
Dynoport pipe-83.0@7500
Aaen quiet can-83.4@7500
Aaen single-82.5@7250

As you can see the DG has the broadest power peak on a modified motor.

The PSI Twins should only be used on a modified motor with flatslides but even then do not deliver the best power. :Moon:

http://www.dynotechresearch.com/file_upload/page_files/v2n2.pdf

This is the only one I could find and there is no mention of the dg pipe? Here are seperate pics of a DG single pipe and a PSi sinle pipe

Attachments

• PSI phazer pipe.jpg
    PSI phazer pipe.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DG Phazer pipe.jpg
    DG Phazer pipe.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 25
Well that settles it. They don't look alike! I was just going by what was printed in the other shootout from vol. 4 ;)!

Phazer-480 with single pipe... ?

Aaen/Bender are problably the best all around single pipe.
You don't need a lot of fiddling to get it to work good.
Bender recommended a Yellow-Orange primary spring, and of course change your jetting.
Also check the tech pages for the primary nozzle upgrade since the phazers are lean in the midrange w/ the butterfly carbs.
12-15 hp increase is a lot for a fan cooled sled, it will feel completely different.
Is the Yellow-Orange a Yamaha OEM spring ?
..if yes, what part # ?

Tell me more about this Primary Nozzle upgrade.

Yep, its a yami spring. I think it was used on 338 GPX's and maybe some other sleds. I dont know the part # tho

Yes YP and YPZ springs are the same. It appears that both charts you have are for YXR springs. As far as I know, All YP and YPZ are two color springs and YXR are three color. Yellow/Orange Part # 90501-520A2-00

Last edited:
ok I will shed some light on this subject having trail ridden and still race these great little machines .............for all around best pipes PSI single and the Aaen quiet can are the 2 best pipes the DG (which I have on my trail sled) is good for around 12 hp @ 7200 rpms .........psi twins while the work ....are only good for one thing on a race sled at WOT they are not a trail pipe and have no low end ....the RPC is another one of my favorites and works well with my motor work .....at 7500 rpms ..........there are a lot of simple gains with these sleds and a easy 8 hp with no cylinder work and no pipe I have been working with these motors for many years and with a pipe and flat slide carbs reeds and cages 88-90 hp as 7200-7500 rpms is fairly easy ...but not for the everyday tuner and require high octane fuel .....trail rideable at 85 hp on 93 octane but no long lake runs ..........there are endless clutch setups out there but the yellow/white with a set of 87F weights in the primary with stock helix and yellow green secondary spring set in b-2 is a great all around trail set up
IMG_0487.jpg

and they are still fun today to race

SINGLE pipe on Phazer-II

...I will shed some light on this subject having trail ridden and still race these great little machines.

1. For all around performance best pipes PSI single and the Aaen quiet can are the 2 best pipes.
the DG (which I have on my trail sled) is good for around 12 hp @ 7200 rpms.
the RPC is another one of my favorites and works well with my motor work @ 7500 rpms.

2. There are a lot of simple gains with these sleds and a easy 8 hp with no cylinder work and no pipe.
I have been working with these motors for many years and with a pipe and flat slide carbs reeds and cages 88-90 hp as 7200-7500 rpms is fairly easy,
but not for the everyday tuner and require high octane fuel .....trail rideable at 85 hp on 93 octane but no long lake runs ..........

3. There are endless clutch setups out there but the Yellow/White with a set of 87F weights in the primary with stock helix
and yellow green secondary spring set in b-2 is a great all around trail set up.
;)! THANX for your reply ! ;)!

1. I looking for a single pipe that has the "Broadest" power curve
( not the highest top end ) and is considered as a low-revving pipe and is easy to clutch and carb set up.
a./ Which "Single" pipe to search for ?
b./ Which "Single" pipe is considered to be the most Quiet ?

2. Initially I will use the stock carbs.
a./ What if any modifications to do on the stock butterfly carbs ?
b./ What TM-carbs to choose and how to set up them ?

3. Since the sled is a 1991 it has the YPZ primary clutch.
Is the part you suggested for the YPZ clutch ?
...if Yes, Any part #'s on the parts you suggested ?
Any advantage using another secondary clutch then stock ?
Since the sled already have LOW gearing ( since it have Reverse ) and will have a 144" track with 8-teeth drivers
is it still OK to use the Helix and secondary spring you suggested ?

Last edited:
if you have a 91 all that is required is the yellow white spring as the rest is stock for 91 .......jetting will all depend on the pipe you choose .....for flat slides 94-96 vmax 600 is what you are looking for I can help with that set up too if you chose to go that was ......if it has reverse then you must have put a venture set up in it which gearing wise should still be just fine as the phazers where under geared to begin with IMHO ....the yellow white spring was stock in the 76 Exciter 440

( 1991 ) Venture-480 TF 153"

If you have a 91 Phazer-II all that is required is the Yellow/White spring as the rest is stock for 91
( The Yellow/White spring was stock in the 76 Exciter-440 )
If it has reverse then you must have put a Venture set up in it
which gearing wise should still be just fine as the Phazers where under geared to begin with IMHO
THANX for your reply ! ;)!

The sled is an: ( 1991 ) Venture-480 TF 153" ( same chassis as Phazer/II )

Let's discuss the CLUTCHING in this thread:
http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/98774-Making-a-mini-Mountain-Lite-of-a-Venture-485-TF

Back