AC or DC current in the lighting wires

nst115

VIP Lfietime Member
So I've been doing some reading about people using LED for headlights and Brake lights.
What I need to confirm is that my 02 MM has DC and not AC. I have dual headlights.
Guys on newer sleds have to worry about putting in resistors if they use leds because the system has no good way to get rid of the excess power. Anybody know if that would be a worry for me?

I'm thinking of getting a different seat, possibly BOSS and mounting my own LED brake light at end of tunnel extension.
Also have my eye on a lexan hood with the thought of using some Rigid D2 type lights for headlights.

What do you guys do for storage if you don't have seat storage? I always end up with mine stuffed full of lunch spare tools for everyone, tow strap and whatnot. That's why I'm thinking boss because they supposed to have tons of room. But I don't really like the looks that well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lights are AC. Look for the Reverse buzzer wiring on chaincase side of sled. All yamaha sleds are prewired for it so its there just have to look for it. It will be brown and a pink wire and would be free if not running reverse. This will be DC. Also brown wire at tach. I use a skinz tunnel bag on my 144 viper and love it. Water proof and plenty of storage. I just got the nytro one seeing they didnt have 2 stroke bags at time. Works great. link just to show ya pic. http://flymotorsports.com/skinz-tun...rm=241-07431&gclid=CLa278rFrsgCFY89gQodQGkCpA

Lights are AC. Look for the Reverse buzzer wiring on chaincase side of sled. All yamaha sleds are prewired for it so its there just have to look for it. It will be brown and a pink wire and would be free if not running reverse. This will be DC. Also brown wire at tach. I use a skinz tunnel bag on my 144 viper and love it. Water proof and plenty of storage. I just got the nytro one seeing they didnt have 2 stroke bags at time. Works great. link just to show ya pic. http://flymotorsports.com/skinz-tun...rm=241-07431&gclid=CLa278rFrsgCFY89gQodQGkCpA

Isn't the 300w system DC? Single would be AC.

If you do run LEDs run the ones with ballasts and built in rectifier. Also comes with cooling fan. Rockmiester on 4 stroke side sells a awesome kit. Run them on Elizabeth's viper, viry nice. Almost as bright as my HID's. The regular led bulb you will be disappointed in. Not very bright. And tail led isn't very good either. Can see at night but not day. Changed Elizabeth's back to old school.

They have a nice bracket at my local parts store to mount those oval trailer brake lights. I'll guarantee those can be bought that will put any old school brake light to shame but I don't want an oval light... And most of the other lights I see look like I might run into the visibility issue..

I see someone has used new sr viper tail lights. I don't mind that look but I can't find where to buy one. Looked online Yamaha parts but I think that just the lense and not the mount bracket thing.

I may leave the headlights alone for now, but I have a different seat and tail light parts on the way. Guess I'll see what I can put together.

I may leave the headlights alone for now, but I have a different seat and tail light parts on the way. Guess I'll see what I can put together.

What seat are you going to run? And yes there are many options with led lights that work good. Im just saying a led in the stock light housing doesnt work.

Bought a nytro seat. Tail lights I have on the way are bar style for a trailer. I'll see if I can stand the look of them somewhere on my tunnel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Found a factory seat support someone made into a storage box for the nytro seat, hoping I can mount the seat with that instead of fabbing up bars.. Have to see when it gets here I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back