Will a SRX rear heat exchanger fit in a 98 SX

Silver Bullet

I have a 98 vmax 600 sx with a hole in the front heat exchanger from a stud last year - This summer I bypassed the heat exchanger and added a heater core in front of one of the air scoops on the right side. I took a few short rides this year but overheated only to find out the cooling system was not full and probably air locked. I was able to bleed off most of air and now I've run about 20 miles with no problems but I am concerned that I may overheat on a longer run. I am going to add a temp guage but I was wondering I would like to add a rear heat exchanger I've seen some used rear heat exchanger from parted out sleds. What tunnel designs are comparable to my 98 SX. This would help in my quest for a rear heat exchanger.

Thanks
Silver Bullet

I have absolutely no idea if it would fit, but if it does fit i might be able to help you get a good deal on the heat exchanger. i found service bulletin on line that listed a kit for swapping out the viper rear heat exchanger with a kit sold by yamaha. this kit consists of 1 srx rear heat exchanger, all the rivets you need to install it, and detailed factory instructions for instalation. the part # for the kit is 8EK-RHECR-KT-00
I ordered mine from www.ronnies.com for $52.00 the heat exchanger alone is $181.00 it was delivered to me yesterday and i laughed all the way to the bank

make shure you get srx hoses or viper hoes for the rear cooler. put one in my sxr and found out that sx/sxr rear hoses are smaller than srx/viper ones. otherwise it just pretyymuch rivits right in.

the hose size is the problem, what you need to do is replace the front one, it does the most work...........thats why your 600 doesn't have a rear one.

I was going to do the front heat exchanger and decided to bypass and try it - We had the motor and everything out and it looked like it was a bear especially dealing with the steering column. I decided to bypass it and add a air cooler to the front under the hood - I just want some extra insurance so I think I go for the rear for now that should be enough cooling.

Thanks for the replys - I may be PM or email some of you for your SRX exchangers.

Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet said:
I was going to do the front heat exchanger and decided to bypass and try it - We had the motor and everything out and it looked like it was a bear especially dealing with the steering column. I decided to bypass it and add a air cooler to the front under the hood - I just want some extra insurance so I think I go for the rear for now that should be enough cooling.

Thanks for the replys - I may be PM or email some of you for your SRX exchangers.

Silver Bullet

The steering column? There are 2 nuts. The bear is pulling the motor and the skid. Then spreading the tunnel to get the exchanger out. oh yeah, and then putting the new one in. And getting all your rivets to line up. Of course I had some "tweaked" sheet metal, which made it a bit harder. But the steering column is not hard.. Winter is almost over, Ride the sled the way it is. Just make sure you have coolant and dont overheat. Then in the summer you can fix it RIGHT. You'll never get the cooling you need unless that front exchanger is working properly, they dont just put it there for you to bypass when it goes out.
;)!

if you just want extra cooling put a 700 sx rear exchanger in. the hoses will work fine then. I have a new one for $75

nicksxr said:
Kixx, did you get your exchanger it?? how did it work?

I also have a front exchanger for sale.

Its in. but I havent filled it with coolant.. But its in. ;)! I still need to get ym rear skid in.

damn that doesn't sound like a very fun job. I put a new front one in a polaris last year and it was a breeze. I didn't even have to pull the motor. It was a poo though, so that might explain it ;)!

Back