Srx 700 pistons

jldbigblock

Having minor scoring on pistons not sure if good to use, looking at either spi or wiesico pistons, any preference on either brand, can't figure out how to post pics, can text pics for a good opinion on pistons. Used a digital caliper and measured 68.7 - 68.9mm

Go with spi. I used oem rings. The quality of piston is similar to oem at fraction of the price

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Are people using the rings and circlips from the kits or using yamaha parts for them, read a few things on the rings being weak and circlip being too large

I run their rings and circlips and haven't had a problem.
Only problem we ever had with them was rings one time on my dads Polaris ultra when he accidentally put one set in backwards piston was backwards as well.

just ordered pistons and complete gasket set and needle bearings off ebay. now just gotta clean and inspect the cylinders, put the crank back in the cases and start reassembly, spending a bit more on things then what I expected to but just want to be ready when the snow falls, haven't even began to look at my other 98 srx mountain mod sled that I bought this summer, bought a 2000 srx for parts with out motor, gonna put the blue belly pan and dual headlight hood on the 98 mountain mod and add the boggie wheels to the skid to help on trails, should have extra parts for sale if anyone needs them

When installing the spi pistons be sure to wear rubber gloves. Don't touch them with your bear hand as they have a coating on them.

Life span is just as good as OEM I think and a lot better than wiseco. Just let the sled warm up properly and you'll have no problem.
There's a lot of local guys where I live that run fully blown mods that choose spi.

In my estimation, piston longevity is dependent on how hot your running, AFR and gas quality. SPIs are more forgiving as they has similar expansion rates as oem. Wiseco pistons(while good), have different expansion rates.

I am reading on the other post with piston scratches, mine looked similar to his, my motor also with about 3500 miles, pistons wear out I understand, now there is talk about reconditioning cylinders, what is right or wrong or the correct procedure for your certain condition, I have read every way of how to do it, don't touch them just clean with hot soapy water, next just use scotch Brite and then clean, then another way, use a 240 grit ball hone, heard you definitely do not want to use a stone hone. Can someone post photos of what processes do what to the plating, gonna stop by local machine shop after work and see if anyone else has knowledge on this topic

I use a stone hone on my stuff. I seem to remember reading the ball hone is the one to watch out for but there was a lot of guys that say they have no problems with the ball hone. I think the theory is the balls can hit on the inside of the ports and chip the nikasil to where a straight stone cannot. Not sure if that is correct but it makes sense.

whats the average life span of the pistons on a good tuned motor

have had the oems still measure good at 9600 miles, however.... that sled had rings put in it every 3000 miles. Once the rings wear, the piston wears and rubs the skirts, makes them undersize. 2 strokes rely on piston rings to stabilize the piston in bore, so you need to keep good tension rings in them, they work twice as hard as a 4 stroke so they need more care given to them.

Is it ok to change out one bad piston with an SPI and leave the other 2 OEM pistons?

Also, am I ok to reuse my gaskets? It looks like the base gasket is one piece.

I never replace just one. If you replace 1 you should replace all 3 and spis are cheap enough to do all 3. I would get new base gaskets I never reuse them only head gasket I reuse spray it with copper gasket spray.

Back