What rpm? 99 SRX with 01 electronics

drew24

I put the 01 electronics in my 99 srx and I am not sure if it is the ignition that makes the 00-02 like 8500 or if it is the different porting. I put 9 tooth drivers back on and have 24/40 gearing right now with loaded 8dn-20 weights and it hits 8200 then climbs to about 8350 which is perfect for the 99. I was thinking about trying the 23 tooth top gear just to see what it feels like but it will raise the rpm a little. What do you guys think?

85/8600 since I'm guessing the 01 cdi, is in there

Did you put in a 2 bulb headlight too? sweet

Thanks guys. I will stick with 8350. Im hoping to get the crank welded and the cylinders ported for next season so then it will change. Put too many $ in the viper this year.lol. I did put the dual headlight in and the best part is the separate hand and thumb warmers. No more burned up thumbs. lol

Last edited:
Time for porting lol. I didn't see you had the older cyls still

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

After I did the swap to my '98 I wished I had used either the '01 or '02 electronics for the option you gave,separate hand and thumb warmer controls.Plus if something ever happens that the CDI needs to be swapped there seems to be more of the '01 or '02 SRX parts available,the '00 electronics I used has that funky single year CDI so if something happens to that then I could be dead on the snow.

Time for porting lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Definitely. Wanted to do it for this year. It will be worth the wait though since the viper is nice and my wife seemed to really like it when we got to ride a little yesterday.

After I did the swap to my '98 I wished I had used either the '01 or '02 electronics for the option you gave,separate hand and thumb warmer controls.Plus if something ever happens that the CDI needs to be swapped there seems to be more of the '01 or '02 SRX parts available,the '00 electronics I used has that funky single year CDI so if something happens to that then I could be dead on the snow.
I'm pretty sure it was you who advised me on the 01-02 electronics for the separate warmer controls. At the time I thought the 00-02 all had the dual controls. I was actually talking to a seller about buying 00 electronics at the time so I am glad you let me know that. I was not liking how hot the thumb got all the time. And good point about the 00 being a little more scarce.

yes, that would have been me. I advised you on that beacause it happened to me... Back in late 2004 i did a complete motor swap on a 2002 mrviper ported SRX motor that went in a 98 MTN SRX and without thinking, sold the dual warmer controls, big mistake. i am glad you remembered that and me.

That top end mrviper done up for me won me a ton of races. I took 1st in the 700, 800 and 2nd in the 900. The 900 that edged me out was a 900 twin cat that was already much lighter then me me from the get go and then the guy put his 14 YO kid on it to give his sled the advantage because I was kicking every bodies A$$ with mrvipers port job.

yes, that would have been me. I advised you on that beacause it happened to me... Back in late 2004 i did a complete motor swap on a 2002 mrviper ported SRX motor that went in a 98 MTN SRX and without thinking, sold the dual warmer controls, big mistake. i am glad you remembered that and me.

That top end mrviper done up for me won me a ton of races. I took 1st in the 700, 800 and 2nd in the 900. The 900 that edged me out was a 900 twin cat that was already much lighter then me me from the get go and then the guy put his 14 YO kid on it to give his sled the advantage because I was kicking every bodies A$$ with mrvipers port job.

That's still pretty good that a 900 with a 14yo on it only edged you out. I am assuming that was a full race port

Drew, if u ever come up to the U.P. michigan, get in touch with me.
I would love to go to the U.P. sometime. I am trying to talk my cousin into going there but his wife is scared of the bridge.lol Might have to go around it. If we do I will let you know.

What about low heat setting for the warmers? Is the thumb that unbearably hot?
I could never seem to get it right. Get the grips where I liked it and the thumb was hot. Get the thumb where I liked it the grips were not warm enough. It only mattered when it was really cold out. Otherwise low was ok

Back