Ultra vs SRX

FrankieJames7

Well I got my Ultra triple pipes in the mail, and am going to get the clutch parts and jets soon. in a few months it should be dialed in with atacc.

here is my set up, 96 Ultra engine, Dynoport Triple pipes, SLP lower than stock compression heads, 97 Ultra SPX CDI, triple rack carbs from xcr 700, will have an 01 XC 800 roller secondary and that is it. i do have some colliding stream transfer port cylinders from an XCR 600 SP that are going to get sleeved to 800 later on.

this is in an about 470 pound dry wedge chassis.

dynoports made 149.2 hp with stock heads and stock ignition, mine should be a lake blasting reliable 147 hp

If your trying to beat an srx you'll need more than pipes and low compression heads. You'll need a good clutch and gearing set up as well.
A well set up srx is hard to beat. My older brother has a 98 poo xcr 700 same motor as the ultra his sled is very well setup and he can't beat my vmax4 800 nor could he beat my old neighbors srx. Same thing with my dad's 96 ultra sks with bb kit and triple pipes and that thing was crazy fast because it was really light.
My dad rode my vmax4 and I rode the ultra and could only get to his bumper and the same when we swaped sleds and ran. 1000ft is what we run..
I have seen a couple ultras out run a srx so it is possible....

Yeah the aggressive chassis are tanks. They are about 70 pounds heavier than my set up if not more. Im also sure that the ultra spx and 98 xcr 700 are 135 hp stock which is a lose lose being heavier and under powered.

I'm gunna use 22/27 gears and 42/34 slp helix and slp spring as recommended by slp and that's the same set up they used for their ultra triple pipes. 55 gram weights and polaris blue spring for the primary

If you want to really lighten things up put your setup in a 94-95 xcr 600 chassis it was the lightest chassis poo made.

mine is already in a 96 XCR 600 non sp. it was a real female dog to swap the ultra in there but i did it. i am swapping over to a 97 SPX bulkhead/tunnel with all my wedge parts. the wedge/aggressive/genII/evolved are pretty much all the same chassis. the weight difference is mostly in the coolers and exhaust. since i'm running dynoports with triple stingers i lost a few more pounds so it is definitely sub 500 at the worst. i will take out all the coolers and replace them with a entire tunnel cooler in the years to come, but that's after i long track it.

i might run the stock heads if they don't detonate, and if i do it should be 150 hp as advertised and proven on dynotech. looking to race 1000 to 1/4th mile and do top speed races.

phil over at hcs told me that his ultra with dynoports beat srx's back in the day, but those were probably 98-99 sleds. i will be looking to race a 2000's on up srx 700 and/or a triple piped viper. i already know a guy with a 121 viper that has slp triples on it.

The 2000 and up srx are faster than the 98-99 if its a well setup srx it'll be close and the viper you'll most likely take it.
You'll like it long tracked. I liked my dads sks it rode great.

If he weren't in Alaska I'd say lets meet up and see. We could do stock srx, modded srx, and modded viper

i might be hitting the east coast before the snow melts, i'll probably be bringing my sled.

what kind of vipers will eat an srx? who made the best pipes for them?

Back