Rear guide wheels shot?? 2002 Viper 700 with 144" track mod.

cariboo4x4

Hi new here and quick question so I may better fix my sled tomorrow. I tightened up my track today and re-torqued rear axle nut to 54 ft lbs. Started sled up and track would not turn. Anyways loosened rear axle nut and loosened up track and re-torqued axle nut. Still track would not turn. So loosened axle nut and track would turn no prob. So had to clean up for family dinner and later found parts diagram showing bushings going thru wheels so no bearings?? Anyways after more internet research wheels can have replacement or non-replacement bearings? Right? All my past sleds had bearings in rear most guide wheels. So I figure the ball bearings must be toast (jamming) cause the inner races I expect are sandwiched between the bushings which is normal. I read the post about adding a 4th inner wheel. Sounds good too. So hope to get a reply before I fix er up tomorrow. Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:

Sounds like you have a bearing that is froze for sure. Probably spinning on the shaft when it is loose. If the wheel has the snap ring to hold the bearing in they are replaceable. If not you need a new wheel. It is easy to put the 4th wheel in. Just have to cut the spacer to the correct widths. Cant remember what that was but im sure it is on here somewhere.

Back