2001 SRX700 chaincase/axle/speedo reassembly

Hammer Down

Ok guys need some help putting the 01 back together. I took it apart in April and am now finally getting it back together. I rebuilt the M10, I now have the axle back in and the speedo gear on. I have the chaincase bolted in also. I need to know the steps for reassembling the chaincase. 1)Do I assemble the bottom gear before tightening the speedo bearing set screws? 2)where do the large and small bushings go on the chaincase gears. 3)Is there a spring on the tensioner?(I don't see one in my bag-o-parts.

Install the bottom gear before tightening set screws. I believe the bigger spacer went on the bottom gear. You can make sure the gears are in line with a straight edge. No spring for tensioner.

the thicker spacer goes on the top shaft, the thinner spacer goes on the bottom as the bottom gear already has a lip on the back of it,so it takes the smaller spacer.

Before I read the last post I had it together with the larger on the bottom and the smaller on the top. With the smaller on the bottom there was 1/8" of axle sticking through the gear. Now I am using the axle off a 97 sx700, could it be longer? Or is something else going on? I pushed the axle as far as it would go into the speedo bearing.the speedo gear and bearing are also out of 97(look the same to me).

Last edited:
That's my bad on the spacer. Sorry, I kept going over it in my head trying to remember. Not sure on the length of the driveshaft. Is the spacer on the driveshaft there? The one the seal rides on behind the chaincase.

image.jpgNo problem. I've got it back together. The axle was not all the way in the speedo bearing. One more question. Is the bottom gear installed properly or does it need to be flipped.?

Ok. It's correct then. Usually I take pics while disassembly but not this time for some reason. !... One more ? What are the torque specs/procedure for the primary clutch?

I believe it is 85 ft/lbs. I remember reading about torqueing it to something to set it and then loosening the bolt and torqueing to something else but not sure what it was.

Back