piped/ported 700 clutching

99VX700

OK, Turk (many thanks from another person you've helped) suggested to me one time I try a set of 89Ls with 0.8g rivets. I do like 'em, but I'm revving a little high. Here's my scoop: '99 Vmax 700 triple with Bender triple pipes and Bender porting; Bender Roller Rooster secondary, 47/39 helix (behaves like a 51/43 on a non-roller), wrap at 70 degrees, stock green spring; primary with stock w-s-w spring, stock 14.5mm rollers, and the 89Ls with 0.8g.

I also have Thunder Shift weights but the 89Ls seem to pull harder...due to the profile? Anyway, with the above my engagement is 4000 (a little lower than the recommended 4200-4400), it rockets right to an indicated 8500 and holds through the mid, then it climbs on top to about 8900. I have a stiffer red spring from who-knows-where but all it did was raise engagement to 5k and it didn't do anything for the overrev. Maybe a little worse even. The belt is quite new, isn't shiny, and there's no creep or squeal.

Any other ideas? The 2.4g in the 89Ls generally applies to non-ported Bender-piped 700s (tech page). And if I add rivet weight my engagement will only go down more. Any suggestions? I admit I have not actually measured offset and c-to-c distance.

That 47/39 roller rooster shifts like a 57/49 non-roller..been der dun dat. I had that exact same set up in my 97 & 00 piped ported 700 sx,s..same helix too. run a green secondary spring at 70 degree wrap, I ran a .8 gram rivet with a new belt..a worn belt might pull a 2.4 gram rivet.A short c to c will cause sled to overrev as will a worn belt.

Thanks, Turk. I kinda thought it was set-up the same as your old 700s. My springs, helix, wrap, weights, everything sounds the same. I'll check c-to-c and if spot on I'll throw on a brand new belt. I can borrow some HC and HH to try, too, but if I can get the 89Ls to work I'd stay with them probably. It doesn't start climbing past 8500 until I'm probably at a good 500-600 feet anyway. Thanks again.

Back