Step by step piston replacement SRX 700

Remove head then jug then rings make sure you put the rings in the right spot your new rings should have instructions with them.
Altogether it should take about 30 minutes.

very easy. but you will need help. another set of hands really makes this job easy. let me know if your looking for somebody to do this job for ya. i am in webster. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Get a good quality assembly lube and make sure you put rags around the connecting rods to keep anything from getting in the bottom end while it's apart. And buy Yamaha rings for Yamaha pistons don't skip steps take the time to check end gap don't wreck a cylinder because a ring was out of spec.

1. You'll need to drain the coolant first thing. Take the filler cap off and get a shop vac. Pull the hose off the crank case/waterpump being the lowest point and have your shop vac ready to suck that coolant up before it glubs out all over the place. Its important not to get coolant in the engine because its really hard on the crank bearings and seals.
Now you can start pulling stuff apart. I agree, on the srx its not necessary to pull the heads off. Four nuts for each cyl and pull them off. Easier if spark plug is removed so there's no suction. I will turn to crank by hand to get the piston down at bottom dead center so when I pull the cyl off I don't smack the case with the connecting rod.
Be careful removing the rings not to scratch the piston. You'll notice a locating pin in the ring groove. This is where your ring gap will be. I only use 2 stroke oil as a lubricant to assemble a 2 stroke motor. I don't like anything else in there personal preference.
Install new rings making sure they are the right way up and gapped to the cyl. To check the gap youll need to Put each ring in the corresponding cyl all by itself And make sure its in there straight. I use the piston itself to push the ring in to insure its straight in the bore. Use a feeler gauge and slide it in the ring gap. Go by your manufacture specs. If the gap is tight you can use a fine file to open it a bit. Put the file in a vice and work the ring very lightly and carefully. It's doesn't take much so check often.
Use brake cleaner/parts cleaner or carb cleaner to clean all your parts including the new rings. Be extremely thorough. Now reassemble making sure to oil all parts as the go together and your off. If reusing gaskets you can use a copper or nickel sealer on them. I also use blue loctite on all my bolts. I put a tiny bit of sealer under the head of the flange bolts holding the heads on. Whether you take them off or not is up to you.

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

You really need a manual for this kind of stuff. Join as a VIP and we can hook ya up! The info needed for proper specs are there. Piston, cylinder clearence. Ring gap ect.....

Back