Cdi failures and compatible parts to use....99 SRX

nick5oh

I see on partzilla that a 99 SRX cdi is obsolete....I have a local parts supplier (Royal distributing) that sells cdis but there listing is saying that for ventures 600/700 years 99-01, vmax 600/700 & mtn max years 00-01, vmax 600/700 and SX 99 year, as well as 00-01 SX 600/700 are all the same cdi box?

Does one of those sleds cdi work on a 99 srx? Do cdis typically fail on srx's? We have an exciter that has a failed cdi we believe and can't find the part anywhere....don't want to have the same issue one day if my srx cdi pooches.

only 98-99 srx cdi interchange, the ones you were looking at from a (redhead)sx700 engine will make spark and run however the powervalves will not operate so they dont interchange and they dont have the same timing curve either. There were not any problems with the 98-99 cdi as most of the issues pertain from a rubbed thru wiring harness and this can and will burn out the powervalve operating section of the cdi box. It seems like the srx600 also available in the 98-99 years suffered this more then the 700 did. If you find a 98-99 700 srx box you can pick one up used for about $50 . I see them on ebay all the time and youll likely find one on here from guys parting out sleds.

check your wiring harness oin the srx, they ALL will need attention sooner or later, it was just a design flaw to not place it in protective sleeve.

only 98-99 srx cdi interchange, the ones you were looking at from a (redhead)sx700 engine will make spark and run however the powervalves will not operate so they dont interchange and they dont have the same timing curve either. There were not any problems with the 98-99 cdi as most of the issues pertain from a rubbed thru wiring harness and this can and will burn out the powervalve operating section of the cdi box. It seems like the srx600 also available in the 98-99 years suffered this more then the 700 did. If you find a 98-99 700 srx box you can pick one up used for about $50 . I see them on ebay all the time and youll likely find one on here from guys parting out sleds.

check your wiring harness oin the srx, they ALL will need attention sooner or later, it was just a design flaw to not place it in protective sleeve.

Ok thank you mr viper! So basically the electrical of my 99 srx, component wise is pretty reliable? Just a bad routing of the wiring harness itself? I will go through this all before next season. Went through the sled quite a bit so far especially having only owned it for a month lol. Changed all wheel bearings on the skid, jackshaft and drive axle as well as chaincase bearings, fixed the speedo key, power valve gasket and seal kit as well as cleaning, gotta do plug caps, plugs, fill oil tank and gas and I'm ready for full throttle! Super pumped, gonna get my first ride in this monster next weekend.

Back