'97 Vmax 500 Oil Pump Cable

urdone

Just bought my first Yamaha, '97 Vmax 500 and I'm pretty happy with it other than the oil consumption. Used 2qt in 50 miles with about 20 miles or so of it at WOT going around a lake.

So I checked my oil pump adjustment and the oil pump cable adjuster is threaded all the way in and it still goes past the marks at WOT about an 1/8" so I'm guessing it's stretched and also the handlebar side of the cable in the adjuster pulls out quite easily so I need a new one. Problem is that according to parts nation it's now obsolete. Anyone know where a guy can get a new cable?

Picture looks the same and p/n is close. Maybe I'll try my Yamaha steamer and see what they got. Thanks for the link buds!

Found one same p/n on eBay so bought it.
Went to the local Yamaha dealer and when they told me it was discontinued they gave me a deer in the headlights look when I asked about aftermarket or other sleds that may have something that fits. Pretty much told me I was on my own.
That's a good dealer right?

Sure is. Next time you can ask him for some fix a flat for your track.LOL . Believe it or not most of them fall for it and will even explain how to use it on your track to blow it up.

Just a late update but apparently there are different lengths to these cables even though they have the same p/n's. I got it to work though and consumption is more realistic now. 1/4 bottle to a half tank of gas over 80km.

Back