01 piped VMAX overheat problems

2stroken

I have an 01 vmax 700 deluxe with power inc center dumps on it, and if it is really cold out(below 0F) and I am running the roads or smooth trails fast(70 +) the over heat light will flash. I turn the sled over and there is an ice damn over the front and rear exchangers. I kick it away and you can see that the exchangers have about an inch between them and the ice. I did an experiment and rode very conservatively(45 mph) back from newberry and the sled did not heat up at all. When it does overheat i can turn the sled on its side, kick the ice away and run it hard again until the exchangers get blocked off. My wife has the exact same sled(minus the pipes and runs an arctic cat track) and I can run this seld anyway i want with no problems at all. Any body got any ideas.

Probably just some weird snow conditions where the snow it sticking to everything a lot, and forming ice which is keeping the snow off of the exchangers. i dont really think you could diagnose and actual "cause" of this, seems more like a freak thing.

Well unfortunately

THis has happened several times. Like I said has to be below 0 F and running with no bumps on the trails(roads or super flat trails) and running the engine relatively hard. If I am ditch banging then i don't have the problem. I just didn't know if anybody had any other suggestions. I suspect that the exchangers are getting too hot and melt the snow fast enough and far enough away from the exchanger that it ices over and prevents any snow getting on them. Each time this happens when I turn the sled over and kick off the ice there is definately a gap between the ice and the exchangers. Just looking for some ideas on this.

not real hard

Well you kind of answered your own question, you say "flat with no bumps", so there is no jolting of the sled going over bumps and such to remove the snow that has melted . With keeping higher flat speeds, there is a fan effect of snow dust hitting the water and freezing it, the track fanning with snow/air up there is like a giant windtunnel. The reason yours does this over the stocker is because its running a bit hotter with more hp from the pipes and the clutching being differnt, leaning on the engine more.( it melts more snow then the stocker from the temps) proabally nothing to worry about, come ride in Ohio or Pa, there will be plenty of bumps to keep the tunnel clear....lol

I have an 01 sxr600 piped and had similar problems a guy that races cars said to try some purple ice made by royal purple have not had problems so far this year in 2500km ;):D

slip slidin' away...

try this....spray the area where the ice would build up with "pam" cooking spray....that light oil is magic...I've used it on the flat area of my 12' enclosed trailer and snow and ice just slide off....

ok, this is the fix if you cant live it.

ok, to fix the problem, remove the pipes and stuff and return to stock!!. The second option is to install a complete srx cooling system, front cooler, hoses, side coolers,and rear cooler, then the heat you generate by upping the horsepower will have the correct size cooling system. Its just like putting a v8 in a vega, you cant expect the stock cooling system to operate the same as when it was stock......, wouldnt it just be easier to just jump off the trail every once in a while and hit a few bumps???

Back