what to check on 600 sxr after 6k miles??

03viperguy

posted on the "other" yamha site, now figured I would post it here. sorry if it is a repost, dont think I have posted it yet and cant find it so.... here it is :)

Fiance (hope I spelled that right!) is riding a 00 sxr 600. it just turned 6k miles. runs great and all, but dad seems to think it feels more "labored" compared to moms 03 vmax 600. obvious things are going to wear, but I noticed in particular a buzzy sound to it when running down the trails. is this what happens when the reeds get worn? is this an easy replacement, and is it cheap? also wondering if the clutch spring may be getting worn, as I have heard people say that it will start to just get fatigued. sled is all stock, even the clutching. only thing ever changed was the shocks were rebuilt and revalved, so I know they arent worn. thanks for any tips or advice :)

Here's what I have seen between the three 00 SXR's that are in my group (two 700's and one 600)

-Track clips wore through and started falling off on the two with most miles.
-Bolt holding secondary clutch on jackshaft came loose on two of them.
-Plastic pivot bushings wore out in rear susp. swing-arms

I have noticed that the 600 does sound quite a bit different than the 700's when riding it, sort of like you described as labored or buzzy.

Back