Sway issues

mich-fish

VIP Member
Just picked up a 02 and a 04 viper. Both under 400 miles on them.My problem is that the 04 feels extremely loose, like the rear of the sled wants to keep coming around on you , even in straightaways. I tried to adjust the skid the way it was described by MRViper and still have the concern. Any further help would be appreciated.

Check for broken sway bar. It can cause this problem as only one side will be working and causing it to be all over the place just like on a car.

exactly captnviper, my first thought is the ski toe in or out is off.............. check that good advice right there!

Somebody most likely replaced parts after a booboo. I know theres a tech page on alignment and its great if you want to get it all dialed in and are a perfectionist. Most my buddies just wanna ride so we do it a bit differently. Ride the sled into the garage so the track is rolling true, stop on a nice flat spot where you have room and smooth surface, dont move the sled. You will want a piece of steel under the carbide so when you adjust the tie rod the ski moves freely. Now how we do it, measure from the edge (not a paddle) of the track farthest point back and forward just before the curve say 30" make a mark on the floor and snap a chalk line from the back mark over the front mark and past the front skis. You now have a straight line parallel to the machine 30" out from the track. Now check alignment off this line Be sure you have somebody on the sled that will compress the suspension to the ride height I like to compress the front and let it up slow. htmIMG_1597.jpg
Measure to the carbide bolts 1/8" toe out on first ski then 1/4" between skis, after you got one where you want it use that ski for reference to the other. We also used a couple small pieces of angle that we clamped to the studs for the carbide, made it a much easier job to measure.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I do have a darting issue, Previous owner installed 8" carbides, planning on installing duals soon. (did that on the 02 and took care of the darting issue, didnt want to buy 2 sets if it didnt help) They rode completely different from the day I got them. I will recheck track and ski alignment. Thanks again.

Dualys are masking the issue. Look at the carbides while parked on a flat surface are they front bias?

Check for broken sway bar. It can cause this problem as only one side will be working and causing it to be all over the place just like on a car.

Sway bar doesnt work independently per side. If its broke it aint doin anything. Probably wouldnt give him this specific problem though.

I did check the carbides and they appear to be riding flat, checked and found that the skis were toe out 1/2 inch from frt carbide studs to rear carbide studs. Am I better off shimming the skis to get a slight lift on the frt of the carbides?

Ok, just got back in from checking skid out and found that the rear axle nut was loose, track was shifting to one side whenrunning in the air and shifting to the other in reverse. So I adjusted track to run true, tightened axle nut, now waiting on snow or another trip up north to try it out. Dont know if this was my issue yet or not.

Last edited:

Back