1000 ft. radar runs

first a little info.2000 sxr 700,stock engine,reed spacers,stock reeds,bender tripple pipes,150 mains and 55 pilots,gwg primary spring,89-l weights w/ 2.7 rivets,green secondary spring @ 60,51-43 helix,23-39 gearing,1 inch predator w/ 96 trail studs.im a 200 lb. guy, and im running 99 mph in 1000 ft. on radar.i have two more options to try for gearing,24-39, and 23-38.which one do you guys think will work best?id like to see 103 mph,and id be happy with that.right now it tops out at 103 in 1500 ft.

What rpm are you running at the trap and I'm assuming but will ask if your getting full shift out? If your getting another 4mph in 500ft and peak rpm's are safe I would get a 22t top gear and try 22-39. You haven't done anything to make anymore power your looking to get it to accelerate faster I would hear it down a tooth. Keep this in mind changing 1 tooth on the bottom has the same effect as changing 2 teeth on the top.

im running 8600 rpm all the way through 1500 ft.clutches are fully shifted out.every time that i have geared up the sled was quicker and faster to 1000 ft because im getting better traction. every time i gear up the clutches are more efficient.i dont think i wanna gear down, and loose traction.im thinking a 52-44 helix will get it to shift quicker,and get me into the tripple digits by 1000 ft if i cant find the gearing that im looking for.traction is limited with 96 trail studs!!!its just a really quick/ fast trail sled .not looking to break any records, just wanna be over 100 mph in 1000 ft.105 would be plenty fast enough for me on top end.i called gary at micro belmont, and got the helix on the way.4-5 days and ill know for sure if i can break 100 in 1000 ft.$130 is money well spent if it works.if it doesnt, then im still gonna try to gear up one more time.if that doesnt work, then i give up.the sled allready out performs any of my buddys 700 sleds.gotta be happy at some point i guess.

a few ideas for you for radar running only,

1.) tighten up the track, a tighter track is faster as if it balloons up it rubs protectors it scrubs off speed
2.) use a red dot secondary spring, it will be faster then the green will. Play with settings till it will just barely hang onto the belt. for radar running you want the least amount of rear spring pressure for mph, you have to roll on the throttle when you leave as if you smash the gas youll suck the belt in the rear clutch without a lot of tension, so go easy on take off. Its not about getting off the line the fastest, its about being on the track to build mph.
3.) make sure the chain and gears is set to the right tension, about a 1 inch total movement of chain side to side, run atf in chaincase.
4.) lube the sliders before running it with dishsoap/water mix

thank you mr viper.ill try these things the next time out.track is loose because everyone else says loose is fast. im gonna tighten it up a little.thats probably why i cant pull all the mph that im geared for.ive been trying to get the sled to leave hard off the line.it leaves pretty good, but if i mash the gas it will spin no doubt with the green spring at 60.ill try the red, and play with the settings.chain was a little too tight also. gonna loosen it up a little.i like the lube the sliders trick.my buddy did that with an old srx that he used to drag race.he had a windshield wash bottle with a shut off on the lines that he used to do the same thing.those things alone will probably get me in the tripple digits!!!any thoughts on where i should start with the red spring? 60? 70? 80?

What about trueing the driveshaft and wheels. Also squaring jack shaft & skid
i have heard about that from my buddy that raced.he said that there is a guy who can line things up that can make the track spin with hardly any effort.who does this?

23-38=111.79 @ 8600 rpm.24-38=116..66.that is a gain of about 5 mph.23-38 again is 111.79.23-37=114.82.that is a gain of about 3 mph.i have done the math!!!

i cant wait to get back out there and test again!!!i have a guy that is sending me a 24 tooth top gear to try,so then i will be geared the same as my buddys thundercat, 24-39.it will take some bend out of the chain, and free up more power.also have two primary springs on the way.a pgp, and a oso.the oso part # has been changed, so im not really sure what it will do,or if is the same as the oso specs.i also have a 52-44 helix coming.im sure i can make something happen with these parts, and the suggestions mr viper gave me.my buddy that owns the thundercat also has a skidoo tnt 600 that used to go by me like there was something wrong with my sled.wouldnt it be awesome to beat both of them in 1000 ft.if i can pull this off, hes gonna be scatching his head for sure, along with alot of other people.kinda gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside, if you know what i mean,lol.

Really cool thread dude. Compared to my sled your sled is way Faster! I enjoy reading about difference set up and specs vs real life performance numbers. Keep us posted

Last edited:
I agree on track tension. I gained 4 mph running with a really tight track. My sled is a 136 so I think the balloon factor is more prominent. You will likely again a few mph by running a tight track.

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

i went out this morning, but the pond is glare ice,no lube or snow at all.made a few passes for the hell of it, not what i expected.gonna have to wait for snow, and hopefully we get some soon.but the pond is flat which is good.how about you guys?you have a place to run?

I'm done the job I'm on this Saturday. Sunday will be cleaning out the apartment and heading back to Maine. I'm going to take a month or so off so I'll be open for some playing on the ice

Back