Primary Clutch Bolt - Socket Size?

SR433

2001 Venture 500 - primary clutch bolt, Yamaha part# 8VO-17647-00-00. What size socket does it take to remove it? :dunno:

I'm here in SE Michigan and the sled is up in Houghton Lake hence the reason for this silly question. I need to remove the clutch to tighten the ring bolts for the electric start. I've got the puller and socket for that but I know even though I'm packing a tool bag full of sockets I'll need the one I don't bring. I am the perfect example of Murphy's Law at it best. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Also, if anyone knows the what size hex wrench I'll need to tighten the ring gear bolts I'd appreciate that too! And yes, I've already got the Loctite packed for these bolts. ;)!

Ring gear is torx not Allen. I believe it's a t-40. I pulled one last year and that sticks out in my mind. Oh my gawd were they in there tight. It took a little heat and some impact action to break them out. Be prepared to give the primary a little time loaded up if it doesn't jump right away. It took me 6 or 7 loosen/torque cycles on the puller to jump it the first time.

Do you have the torque procedure to put it back on?

Thank you Backwoods! The issue is the ring is loose and rattling so I'm hoping the bolts are just loose. When I looked up the replacement bolts (#8DV-17617-10-00) the pictures showed what looked like an allen head so I will be prepared and take along both allen and torx head sockets! The torque sequence I figured would be a crisscross pattern similar to torqueing a head?

You use a cris cross for the ring gear. I was referring to the clutch retaining bolt. It's a torque, remove and torque again sequence. I don't have my computer right now so someone might say I'm wrong with the numbers but it's torque to 79ft-lb, remove the bolt then re torque to 44 ft-lb and leave it.

What are you using for a clutch holding tool? I've had good luck with the tail of a ratchet strap wrapped around the clutch with the hook on the steering hoop in the foot well.

"I've had good luck with the tail of a ratchet strap wrapped around the clutch with the hook on the steering hoop in the foot well." I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I usually use a strap wrench or will use the old rope down the spark plug hole trick. :wink:

Thank you for the tip! By "green" are you referring to Loctite 290? I've never used it before, I normally use the blue 242/243 or red 272.

Sorry I should have stated green thread locker (sleeve retainer). Just get so used to saying locktite. LOL! Not sure what number the locktite is for this but this is what I use. Permatex green sleeve retainer. Strong stuff but it's what's recommended by Yamaha and only thing that holds under those conditions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-18-12-04-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-18-12-04-21.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 10
Sounds like a plan, I'll be stopping by the local NAPA store on the way home and picking up which every one they've got. Thanks again!

Thank you again to everyone who chipped in here! Got everything apart just fine but as the weather has changed for the worse for sledding I'm not rushing to put it back together right away. I actually opened the service manual and found that Loctite 648 is called out in the installation instructions of the ring gear bolts, couldn't locate any locally and have some coming via Ebay. I stopped by the Yamaha dealer and picked up some new mounting bolts as the ones I took out were worn on one side from the ring gear torqueing and rattling against it. Still have to get the old Loctite out of the blind holes, it looks like some good carb clean and a bottoming tap will do the trick and clean them up. It's going to be 50 degrees here this coming Saturday so although conditions wont be good for riding at least the tools or parts wont be sticking to my fingers and my cold ones won't be slushing up! :D

Back