My new 98 SRX 600 Need Help!

koreyk125

Hey TY-ers!

I just bought a mint condition 1998 SRX 600 with only 4,700 miles on it. I did a compression test and all three cylinders where at 118 so I was pretty happy that it has some good motor life left in it. Next winter I am going to start doing some lake racing with the sled in the Cor Power Sports cross country series and the lake cross events here in Wisconsin. I am not 100% new to Yamaha but I am new to this triple motor and the SRX. A few years back I was on Yamaha's support team running a 2013 Nytro with the race front end and the 128" track in the rear in the cross country series and I loved it, I really enjoyed my time getting to know a lot of you and the people at Yamaha and now I am looking to get back into racing at a cheaper cost and looking to have some fun. I need your guys help and I have a few questions for all of you, remember I am not looking to mod the sled out but looking to improve it a wee bit and have some fun on a tight budget.

#1 What is the best clutch kit to get? Bender, Hauck, Ulmer? Any clutching tips for me?
#2 I need to hit 100 mph for lake racing and I understand the stock sled will do that but do I need to re-gear for any reason? I need a lot of pull out of the corners as well.
#3 I keep hearing adjustable torq arms for the rear skid...What are these, where do I get them...please explain!
#4 BR9ECS plugs are in the sled. I saw on here that the sleds came with BR10ES in 98. Should I keep running the 9ECS?
#5 Also if I am correct I have a stock 7/8" lug on my track. Will the studboy Lake Racer 1.187" studs hit under neath? Do I need a shorter stud? I will be putting in 192 studs
#6 Any known bearing issues on these sleds? Mine all seem to be pretty good
#7 Getting the carbs cleaned, airbox cleaned, checking that stuff and the powervalves all checked out will be happening but anything else I should be doing?

Thanks for your advice! I cant wait to get this sled going next winter!

Welcome to the forum, I think you picked the perfect sled for that type of racing. Low and fast.....

#1. Take your pick, I'm partial to the Hauck kit, just remember each sled will be alittle different, and you'll need to fine tune some.

#2. For your application, gear down. You have the traction to do it.

#3. I'm assuming you mean transfer rods. They allow the rear suspension to uncouple and let the rear end squat for maximum weight transfer, but I don't think you'll need these as it also lifts the skis and I'm sure you'd like to steer when on the gas lol.

#4. Run the 9's, The 10's fouled incredible easy on cold starts.

#5. Stud length sounds about right. Man, I haven't seen a stock track on an SRX since forever. They we're horrible in 98.

#6. I've had great luck with all bearings on my 98. Just be sure to go thru them all and check, and only use Yamaha bearings.

#7. Check the W arm in the rear suspension for cracks.

Back