Jackshaft Diameter New Viper vs SX700

j5ferry1

Im looking into the quick belt deflection adjuster that OSP makes for the new vipers and nitro's my question is is the jackshaft diameter the same as my 1997 sx. I was originally thinking the secondary's were the same if not similar from 97+ on Yamahas. I tried calling and talking to someone and they said they had no idea if it would work on my antique sled haha. They show two different models for the nitro and viper as well. I like the idea of keeping the float on the secondary instead of the other variations I've seen on the same type of product that locks the secondary...

http://www.ospracingparts.com/yamaha-sr-viper-belt-adjuster-with-float/

I have used one of these in the past with great luck. Though, I don't think there is any gain to be had really as far as performance. If your belt is worn, once the clutches start moving, any gain(little) is gone. And the only gain, is that it is easier to adjust. Belts don't wear that fast so it is kind of a non issue.

This one should fit, the only thing to check is, the depth of shaft. the shaft size is the same but not sure about depth. The one I have I think is from maximum performance and the depth part is adjustable as just a cut version of the stock bushing they come with.

It is questionable if there is any gain in running a fixed secondary. I tested on mine and saw no loss in speed. Never tested it on a timer with acceleration.

What I did find was the helixes stock don't work well with this, at least the dalton ones I used with it. Sliding aluminum on aluminum creates drag marks that over time would pile up, making my adjustment, need to be adjusted out. I cured this by using some king pin washers/shims the size and shape of the outer rim of the helix and the adjuster. I sanded the surfaces flat and used Stay-put on the shims to glue them on. they worked great after that, no stick, no burs, adjustment stayed the way I set it.

Short answer, I think they are a waste of money unless your someone who puts on thousands of miles in a year and are cheep about buying belts. Mine is in my tool box, not on my sled anymore.

Hmmm well thanks for the input. It must be different depth, which is why they have two different options for the nitro and the sr viper. Its not like I put a ton of miles on each year or blow through belts, I just like the idea of being to fine tune the belt without those stupid washers. I feel like Im in-between washer sizes...Almost like i need half of the thickness with my new belt this year... my bolts look good still but maybe i should just replace them... That other belt deflection thread came up and got me thinking about these again. Anyhow I really want to try this but I don't know if i feel like spending 80+ on something thats going to be a maybe.

if you want to fine tune your clutches, buy a shock wave helix, now that thing is worth the money.

On the shims, do you have the half shims. my dealer doesn't keep them but i have ordered them before. they are very thin.

I wasn't aware that they had half shims but I'm going to look into picking up a set right now. Did you ever find a set of Gen III's this season?

no, I have found some so expensive you may as well buy new.

shim number is 90201-06431-00 stock ones are 1mm, these are .5 mm

Back