Hot Grips Help!!!

hessracing

Hey guys last weekend my on 2000 srx 700 we went on a ride and the hot grips quit working. They were working for the 1st half of the ride and the thumb warmer still works. But out of know where toward at the end of the day if you picture it like a dirt bike throttle the left grip started to twist and got worse and worse. It now twist to about 3/4 throttle. I'm picturing in my head the wires are probably ripped apart and that is why they don't work. Now my question is the right side doesn't move at all and they both worked prior to this ride can I just replace the left side. The stock grips are expensive as hell! They are like $70.00 each! if I just bought one side do you think I would be OK? let me know your thoughts! thank you!

Yes you can replace them individually, but make sure you get the same resistance or one hand will be hotter than the other. You might be able to find a used one on here if someone carefully took it off.

fwiw: There is a fairly easy way to take them off . . .

1. Remove any rivets if used to secure the grips (punch out mandrel, drill rivet)
  2. Use a 12V battery and connect directly to the individual leads of the disconnected grip.
  3. Once it gets fairly hot, apply air pressure carefully using the hole in the end (plug any other holes off such as the other grip)
  4. As it continues to get hot, it should work off fairly easy.
  5. Then you should have a reusable grip.

they are wired in series so you can check to see which one is not functional, just wire each one to the sled supply, by changing the plug ins under the pad. it will be fine to just change one as long as its the same grip.

Awesome deal! I'm going to get a genuine Yamaha grip and I'll replace the one that is twisting and see what happens! regardless it needs to come off as far as resistance they only showed one for this machine i hope it hits the same temperature! buying it tomorrow will switch it out this weekend and post. thanks guys!

Back