fixing wrinkle in tunnel

shaggyzr2

20150328_184928_resized.jpgI've decided to build another SRX, I've got a chassis but the tunnel is slightly tweaked in the back just on one side. It looks like it must have gotten hit lightly in the corner. It's totally use able the way it is but I want it to look better. Whats the best way to straighten aluminum?

Last edited:

I'm no body and paint guy by any means but I'm thinking if you hooked up something to pull on the back of the tunnel,and of course have the front anchored,use a body hammer and dolly to work the metal back into shape by tapping from the outside in. That way you kind of force the metal to shrink back,somewhat, into the proper shape.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I'll have to try that, maybe heat it up first. I'd like to get it almost perfect so I can just polish the tunnel but if I can't I may have to use some filler to make it perfectly smooth then paint it. I've got another chassis that I could use but that one has some damage on the other side. lol

You may be able to get some pointers from guys that are more into the metal work and body shop type work. I'm just relaying some info that I've gleaned from watching videos online plus some friends that do some body work. I know the key to using a hammer and dolly is to work from the outside in,take your time and don't try to do it all at once by beating the crap out of it lol.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

It'll work on steel too. If you take a pillow case and hold it tight against the horn of the extinguisher, then discharge the container into the pillow case, you'll have a pillow case of dry ice.
This procedure works very well on dents in a fender.

I've seen people use those cans of air used for dusting to removed dents. heat the dent up with a heat gun, flip the can of air upside down and spray the dent, it seems to work pretty good for some dents.

Back