98 srx wont start????????

Dubbz50

Hey guys, I'm totally lost here and any help will be greatly appreciated, I've been riding my 98 SRX 700 all season with no issues what so ever....one pull starts all season until last week, I was going down a trail when my headlights started cutting in and out until they stopped working all together, I pulled over killed the sled to check...found the problem (melted wires going to the headlight on the exhaust pipe) since I killed the sled I cannot for the life of me get it to start, I'm getting tones of fuel, tones of spark but every time I pull it over the lights don't start to light up and its sounds like the kill switch is pushed down, I've since fixed the melted wires but same problem....will not kick over and sounds like the kill switch is engaged??????

Well all it takes is fuel, air, spark, and compression to make it run. Either you are down on compression or maybe your spark isnt hot enough, is it blue?

I had the compression tested and I was told its good, something just sounds different when I pull it over.....sounds like it would sound if the kill switch was pushed down but it's up and ready to start, I checked the kill switch and it's working so I know that's not the problem...

Spark is Blue, one other thing.....usually when I pull over the sled I can see the Headlight and Taillight go to come on but now when I pull it over no lights of any kind come one.

+1 ^^^

Your missing one of the 3 basics (fuel/air/spark) if your compression checked good. It's that simple.

Unless for some odd reason you lost timing.

One of the techs at the Yamaha dealers near me said if the flywheel around the magneto is not lined up with the slot underneath my timing will be off so I'm gonna have a look later and see since it was lose about 2 months ago and I tightened it up, but it ran fine since I tightened it up...

If it was running fine before and then you had melted wires going to the headlight then you either still have a wire melted somewhere or when the other wires melted and shorted together they messed up the stator windings.I've got the service manual out in my shed and will get it out later and send you the testing specs.

Really appreciate the help, I checked the stator out and the numbers are all good, I also pulled the wires that run under the engine out and checked them for any melted wires and there was none, I've heard a lot about the carbs on these SRX's so I think I'm gonna pull them out and clean the jets again, if that doesn't work she's going to the dealership lol

Back