Using weights with weld on them

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
When I bought my '01 SRX it had an 8BU setup in the primary for drag racing,and when I changed everything for a trail setup I found that the previous owner used weld to add weight to the flyweights rather than using a heavier rivet.They have been sitting on my bench for almost 3 years now and I thought I might be able to clean the weld off and pop the old rivets out,after I use my gram scales to weigh them,and keep them for possible use in a set of clutches I can setup for drags once I get the right weight rivets to get back to the correct weight.

My question is would it be safe to use these weights after they've been welded on?I figure on using water to keep the heat down on the weights as I cut the weld off but I have no way of knowing how much structural damage has been done already to the metal with the heat of welding.

I garrentee mayby.

I would guess the weight was added to the underside of the tip. It is done to instead of or adding to weight to the tip that does not effect the mid range as much as the weight is behind the pivot through the first part of the shift range.

It's a guess if they are fine or not. I have a couple sets of 8ek that have weld under them and had heard of it from a guy in southern maine who did this to 8bu and 8ab weights to give them some top end.

I had weights in an old Phazer that had been welded on to add more weight. I ran them for years. That was an old ypz clutch with no weight holes so not many options. Suppose it has to do with how good the weld is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well your almost right Scott.The sled did come from southern Maine and could be the same guy your referring too but the weld is actually under the inner rivet and not the tip.I think I'll cut the weld off as smoothly as possible without adding any extra heat and round up the correct weight rivets to properly setup the weights.

Back