The making of the furious bastard known as Xterminator700.

prankster

Hey everyone!
Its been awhile but now im back to tell you the true story what really happened to the old sled some of you may know from my previous thread "Exciter goes mountain". This is the way it looked before i tore it down for the final transformation:)

3Eli4o.jpg

It all started with a great deal on a complete 700 redtop with carbs and Electrics and i just had to get it! I also bought a 2" 136 track and a Venture 480 gearbox complete with all the shafts. I knew through my research that this wasn´t exactly a bolt on but i had to give it a try!
YdS4gc.jpg

A pretty sad sight, the ones so handsome bastard is totally stripped down, and i´ll tell you...I was pretty nervous and a bit shaky when i put the grinder to the chassie the first time to get some room for the Venture chaincase.
5P3ucX.jpg

I used a cut out piece from the original Venture frame and spotwelded that to the Exciter chassie. It was surprisingly easy to fit the reversebox using this method! It doesnt differ that much from stock, i would say about 5 mm cc between the shafts. (I was told its bolt on with Phazer but NOT on Exciters though).
2HOf2Q.jpg

Got to the bearing side aswell, used the same method with cut out pieces from an old Venture chassie. Got some help from a neighbour who happens to be a tig welding magician:) The Venture driveshaft had to be cut 6mm in order to fit in the bearing holder. I just cut off a tad from the magside splines using an ordinary grinder. Pressed on 7 tooth drivers in order to fit the 2" inch track, lets hope it works in the end.....
eU9dRi.jpg

Started to fab some custom enginemounts for the lovely redtop, tried to make it look as stock as possibly. A fresh coat of black and it will be perfectly alright. :)
wRW4cc.jpg

The powerplant and the reverse gearbox is in!!! Had some trouble with the cooling hoses, its tight....especially on the magside. Also needed to machine the 700 secondary to fit the Venture 480 secondary shaft. Also needed to find a secondary clutchbolt (no big deal really).
UOiCcn.jpg

Mounted new hoses for gas and oil, pump and carbs are mounted aswell (need to find pods and some bigger mains, found a set of Aaen triple pipes!)
pQtJru.jpg

Test mounting the Aaen triples, got flanges for a viper and they do not fit the redtop. Need to find some or make a Another custom solution.... The pipes are a tight fit, they need to have a some massage before they fit properly in the Exciter chassie, really close to fire it up now for the first time.
crslct.jpg

This old sled will never die, it just keep evolving!
Stay tuned for more madness or join us on facebook: exciter custom and restoration worldwide!

To be continued.........

Attachments

• t3U42F.jpg
    t3U42F.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Got the Summit skid in, together with the 2" track. Such a relief that it runs free from the front cooler and that everything seems to work according to plans. (Ok i will get red or black slides eventually.....and get rid of the yellow doo colours:)

boggie.jpg

Got most of it back together now, still havent got a solution for the exhaustflanges, leaning towards make a custom solution by cutting stock exhaust and mix that with the Aaen Viper flanges. Haven´t done the Electrics yet missing some parts from the Vmax700 harness. The rear end and the hood need some fresh paint other than that im pretty pleased with the result so far:)

ex.jpg

Things to do list:
*Make the exhaust work (or buy flanges if any of you got some spares).
*Get the Electrics done (could use a vmax700 wiring diagram)
*Get proper clutching and gearing (tips and ideas are gladly accepted here:)
*Make a new solution for the hydraulic brake (tight).
*Remove the skidoo yellow from the skid.

To be continued.......

Last edited:
Thanx guys!:) Glad u like it lots of work behind it but yes, it should be a fun sled if i manage to get the clutching and gearing right. I had to compromize pretty much with the 7 tooth drivers.... The reverse gearbox also has limited options when it comes to gearing. I don´t know if its even possible to find other options for that yet. My biggest concern right now is the exhaust, havent found any flanges so i decided to make my own. This will of course take some time.... and time is a limit right now. Would really want to try it while i still got some snow:)

I've been reading a lot in here since i came back. I found great information about clutching and so on. Was very impressed by a phazer build from mr viper. Thanx for sharing your knowledge in porting like that! This place is a real treasure when it comes to knowledge i must say. Anyway feel free to share your thoughts about a decent "all round" clutching for this bastard. Keep in mind that it has venture 480 stock gearing and 7 tooth drivers. Riding style is mostly trail but also powder once in a while. Track is 136 with 2" lugs. Motor stock redtop with aaen triple pipes. I am looking for a decent set up. Thanx /d

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

Last edited:
Heelclickers or heavyhitters Sounds like a good plan but what about weights, springs and helix? What would work as a starting point? Yamahamark make a search for exciter custom and restoration worldwide and you Will find it, (let me know if you don't and i'll send u a link). Thanx a LOT MrSled i really appreciate it! And yes! You should go for it, put a redhead in your 84 vmax, it would be an awesome build to follow:)

Wow that seems to be great stuff, exactly what i need. Thanx yamahamark!:) Also. Wanted to say thanx to member Vincent who uploaded some wiring diagram! Now I'm ready to mix the exciter electrics with the vmax 700 harness, dont looking forward to this at all but it has to be done....

Last edited:
Its alive!!! Fired it up without exhaust just to test and It seems to work just fine! (but d*** it was loud hahaha:) Cleaned the carbs and put on my new 150 mainjets. Now Its ready for the Aaen triple pipes! Will continue with the electrics tomorrow, just the pods and the exhaust left before i can take it for a testrun.

PHeSNl.jpg

Last edited:

Back