best studs/stud pattern for 1000 ft drags

120 studs in a v think for that would work well. Think stud choice makes a big influence

On hard pack and ice if it's a 121" track? I would consider 144 studs down the center with double backers. I like the megabite studs because of the extra surface area they provided. They bite in and also have a bit of surface area that can push snow or ice. I ran this setup on my viper for 10 years and never lost a stud. This was on a ripsaw 1 1/4" track. Most of my riding is on hard pack and icy trails.

I just purchased a Track USA 136" exension kit and intend on running 162 megabite studs on it. It also is a 1 1/4" ripsaw track.

Age old question..How to make my sled hook up on a ice track and still trail ride it? Chisels and pencil picks are best for ice but will not last on the trail,studs on the inside of rails last alot longer and wont pull out like the outside of the rails.But there is a reason they pull out there [most of the weight is there and improved traction] goes with it.

Megabites are great to last but sometimes wont sit into the ice cause there to darn fat.

Bluewho!! Are you calling my studs fat??? Lol haha. I have had good luck with them. Always a compromize but they did hold up very well for me.

I don't stud any more. But when I did, double backers on everything kept all studs put. I can't remember loosing 1 of em when their double backed.
The last paragraph in bluewhos post is definately right on the money.

I tried the old T nut style pencil picks on my srx one year at a winter carnival.Buddy told me I was shooting them at the backboard I t
told him to keep people back!! lol I still ran.

Last edited:
ok, soo double backers, but what studs for hardpack and ice for 1000 ft?144 up the middle?help me out here!!!do the fat ones work on ice?lol.looking for maximum traction out of the hole.still trail ride, so what works best?

Your asking for three things. It's a compromise, or get three tracks and sleds.
1 studs for hard pack
2 ice for 1000' drag
3 still trail ride.
In my opinion the megabite would be a good compromise. Or the gold diggers. Most other picks are made for spacific racing use.

The studs closest to the rails inside and out get the most traction but are the first to pull out or damage a track. If you don't go to crazy on low snow condition trails they can have acceptable durability. I have run 144 to 192 on a couple sleds with no real problems
Definitely no as durable as center only . In your case it may be worth it .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i have noticed that 96 up the center is not enough, studs tend to pull out more if there arent enough.im thinking 144 up the center with double backers just might do the trick.my buddy that used to race would make his own pattern, and says i should try it.he would make an ugly pattern, no specific pattern at all.just put them where they dont line up with any other studs.he would dig in hard with every stud making a better scratch pattern on the ice when he left the line.i guess ill try that, and see how it works with as many double backers that i can use.im not crazy about studs on the outside for trail riding, they push in the corners, and tend to rip out ruining a perfectly good track.
The studs closest to the rails inside and out get the most traction but are the first to pull out or damage a track. If you don't go to crazy on low snow condition trails they can have acceptable durability. I have run 144 to 192 on a couple sleds with no real problems
Definitely no as durable as center only . In your case it may be worth it .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back